Sign in to follow this  

250F too much for a first bike?

Hi, 

I'm looking to get into dirt bikes and i am going to be doing mostly trail riding. I have some experience with quads but they are mostly utilities. i have driven clutch before but i am far from experienced. i have been looking at 250f because i have heard they are a lot more forgiving and easy to handle than the 250 2 strokes and it is almost the equivalent to a 125 2 stroke. I am 16 years old, 5'11" and 165 lbs so the size isn't the problem for me it is just the power for a beginner. All of my friends are telling me to do it but all of them ride quads so its a bit different. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Edited by liampac70

Hi, 

I'm looking to get into dirt bikes and i am going to be doing mostly trail riding. I have some experience with quads but they are mostly utilities. i have driven clutch before but i am far from experienced. i have been looking at 250f because i have heard they are a lot more forgiving and easy to handle than the 250 2 strokes and it is almost the equivalent to a 125 2 stroke. I am 16 years old, 5'11" and 165 lbs so the size isn't the problem for me it is just the power for a beginner. All of my friends are telling me to do it but all of them ride quads so its a bit different. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Trail riding? First of all, if you go four-stroke, get it with electric start. Unless you're out rippin' Glamis, you want electric start for anything besides MX.. unless you're on a smoker, of course.

Back to the point: the 250f will be fine for you. In fact, it will be perfect. I got my 250f at age 14 and literally couldn't stay on it. At 15, I could ride it.. barely. At 16, I could ride it just fine (hint, hint). At 18, I am racing it competitively in the intermediate class. It's all about progression, and things really sped up in the 16-18 age range. You're at that point where you start gaining a considerable amount of muscle at a considerably fast rate, and that really does help with control of the bike.

Do not get anything with significantly less or more power at this point, you will regret it.

Your choice should be EXCLUSIVELY between a 125cc two-stroke and a 250cc four-stroke (save for the KTM deviants... don't get technical on me with the 150 smoker, that's fine as well). Trust me on this man, you are at the absolute perfect size for those bikes, experienced or not, there is nothing else to choose from that is logical. Both bikes will be scary getting on for the first time, but that doesn't mean they're not your size! It's just because they're dirt bikes, and they have manual clutches! It will take a little bit to get used to it, but once you do, you will be smoking your friends on their quads. Oh, and don't let some ignoramus tell you to go buy a 450 bike cuz he rips his 450 quad just fine. Unless you do so and then make him get on it and pin it. That'll be fun to watch....  but seriously, no.

Something that's honestly really important to consider when buying bikes, besides size, is the frequency and cost of maintenance. These are dirt bikes; they require very frequent maintenance, two or four. This isn't your dad's utility. My 250f I bought quit starting shortly after I bought it. For 2 years it was an absolute BITCH to figure out mechanically, and that really hindered my riding time. At this point, I can scatter the engine all over the garage and still get it back together correctly, but that's besides the point and really not what you're going for here. Two-stroke is much more user friendly for teenage kids on budgets, plain and simple. Blow your four-stroke and you'll be working all summer long to repair that thing, whether you're working for the money or fixing it by hand.. and still working for the money. Not only that, but a jumpy two-stroke WILL hone your riding abilities much better than a 250f will when you start. I know what I'm talking about. Personally, I wish I had started on a two-stroke, but my stupidity and more importantly my laziness (riding-wise) got the better of me. Then my engine blew, and I didn't know what the definition of "laziness" even was.. if you catch my drift. 

Think about it, test ride the two. Come back and tell me what you think.

Edited by AKmotorider

Look for something along the line of a WR250F or a CRF250X. Might also see if you can find a good condition XR250, those things were built like tanks and are about as newby friendly as they get. Avoid used motocross bikes for a first time thing. As mentioned, they can get wrench and $$ intensive in a hurry, plus they aren't the best choice for beginner woods bikes in several different ways.

Look for something along the line of a WR250F or a CRF250X. Might also see if you can find a good condition XR250, those things were built like tanks and are about as newby friendly as they get. Avoid used motocross bikes for a first time thing. As mentioned, they can get wrench and $$ intensive in a hurry, plus they aren't the best choice for beginner woods bikes in several different ways.

+1 on the XR. For simplicity and money savings, air-cooled is the way to go. Forgot about those.

Yes 250 perfect but depends on how you are I dnt like the WR250f or the crf250x I started out with a crf250r no button which dnt get me is nice but not for me I like the lighter feeling bikes and they are more snappier that is just me.