Sign in to follow this  

CRF150F Questions

My nephew just picked up a 2006 CRF150F.  It has an aftermarket exhaust, larger rear sprocket, and Renthal bars.  Other than that, it appears to be stock.  Not sure about the jetting.  His carb is different than the 230F and has an idle screw on the side, but I believe it just raises/lowers the throttle valve as opposed to adjusting the air/fuel mixture like on the 230F.  Is there a way to adjust the air/fuel mixture on the 150F, or does this require changing jets, clip positions, etc?  His bike pops at higher RPMs when closing the throttle, so we're trying to determine how to resolve this.  I pulled the seat off and the intake restrictor was still installed, so I removed it.  He hasn't ridden it since then so I'm waiting to hear back from him later today to see if that helped.

Edited by mossman77

With the air filter box restrictor removed:

Install a110 main jet, 42 pilot jet and an 05 or older jet needle with the clip second notch from the bottom (4th from the top) adjust the idle mixture screw for fastest idle speed and then reset base idle where you like it best.

You have a factory OEM Honda shop manual correct? (E Bay) It will answer your next few questions I suspect?

If you don't want more power from properly re jetting then put the restrictor back in. ( unless your consistently riding in very hot weather above 8-9,000 feet elevation, (90d+) and never less than that.)

Edited by adnohguy

adjust the idle mixture screw for fastest idle speed and then reset base idle where you like it best.

That's my question, how do I reset the base idle after adjusting the idle to the fastest speed?  Adjust the cable, or is there another screw to adjust?

If you don't want more power from properly re jetting then put the restrictor back in.

I figured since the bike has an aftermarket exhaust that removing the restrictor would be beneficial.  If not, then I'll tell him to put it back in.  I believe he still has the original Honda foam filter installed as well so I was going to get him a Twin Air.  I suppose more air without more fuel doesn't do any good though.  I'll definitely have him check the jets first.  He just upgraded from a CRF80 so he probably doesn't need even more power at this point.

Edited by mossman77

You have a factory OEM Honda shop manual correct? (E Bay) It will answer your next few questions I suspect?

+1

I don't know if he does or not.  He just got the bike and lives 2.5 hours away.  I was down there for the weekend and figured I'd try to help him out.  I was just trying to get a quick answer.  Maybe someone else will chime in with the answer so I don't have to tell my 12 year old nephew that has no money to buy a manual on eBay.