1985 YZ80 $500 good deal or not?

I am gonna buy a new dirt bike, my pit bike is starting to fall apart, because yesterday I was riding and the piece that holds the front sprocket on fell of making it unable to be rode. I was searching and found a 1985 YZ80 on craigslist for $500 and the guy is willing to go down on price. I am going to sell my pitbike , is it a good price for the YZ80? and how much should I ask for the pitbike?

Thanks! 

FadedVoices

I just want to know what I should ask for the pit bike. Cause I have the time nor money for the repair that it needs. I am hopefully doing to buy the 1985 yz80 and i was also wondering what offer I should put in for it? He's asking $500 and its been on Craigslist two months and he has had no offers.

I just want to know what I should ask for the pit bike. Cause I have the time nor money for the repair that it needs. I am hopefully doing to buy the 1985 yz80 and i was also wondering what offer I should put in for it? He's asking $500 and its been on Craigslist two months and he has had no offers.

The yz probably needs a lot of work.

Save 1000 and get a xr100 for a pit bike

As others have said, getting a bike that is nearly 30 years old, with missing parts, is not generally a good idea.  The YZ80 missing its airbox is a headache just waiting for you to look for some aspirin.  I would venture a bet that your local Yamaha dealer doesn't have an airbox for it, and they probably cannot source one for you either.  If they are able to source one through the Yamaha dealer network, you will be looking at a price of at least $200 for it. 

You would have to source 90% of the parts through eBay on any bike that old (trust me on this one, I am in the process of restoring a 1983 IT490K).  Doing my own quick search, the airbox for that bike was only used on the '84-'86 YZ80.  If the part was easy to obtain, why wouldn't the seller get one and sell a complete bike?  There is one on eBay currently, and it looks like it is serviceable, but once it is gone, how long until another one pops up?

As far as your pit bike, what all does it need to be right again?  Tires are fairly easy to do yourself with just some spoons and a little effort.  I would think that you could fix your pit bike for less than the $500 asking price of the YZ80, as long as you are able to do the work yourself.  If not, well then you are looking at some big bills to repair any bike.

I personally wouldn't consider the YZ80 as a viable bike, unless I could get it for $100-150 tops.  For that low a price, I would roll the dice and try to flip it for a couple hundred bucks.  But I wouldn't keep it as a rider.  My '83 IT490 is a labor of love, but it isn't my primary bike.

Edited by USED YZ426F
  • Like 1

Just plunk down $400 for an '85+ xr100 and you'll be way happier. The same engine was used for basically the entire xr100 line from 85-03. So engine parts are easy to find and there's tons of those suckers floating around for parts. The xr80 engines will bolt right up, too AND they have the same frames, so all the other parts will swap over.

Just plunk down $400 for an '85+ xr100 and you'll be way happier. The same engine was used for basically the entire xr100 line from 85-03. So engine parts are easy to find and there's tons of those suckers floating around for parts. The xr80 engines will bolt right up, too AND they have the same frames, so all the other parts will swap over.

And those XR's will run forever with little to no maintenance.