Upper Mad River to reopen soon

Hi Riders

Just wanted to update everyone on the Mad River status.  We are going to reopen most of the Upper Mad River trail system by Friday August 22,2014. 

The Upper Entiat Valley will remain closed to public access so the following trails will remain closed until further notice

South Tommy #1423

Middle Tommy #1424

North Tommy #1425

Shetipo #1429

Garland Peak #1408

Entiat River Trail #1400

Duncan Ridge #1434

Anthem Creek #1435

Also the Lake Creek/Devils Backbone/25 Mile Creek Trail System will remain closed

The closure will be lifted to allow for access to Mad Lake, Two Little Lakes but not Klone Peak.

Any questions call the Entiat Ranger Station.

Thanks and Tread Lightly

USFS Entiat OHV Rangers

• Like 1

Hi Riders

Just wanted to update everyone on the Mad River status.  We are going to reopen most of the Upper Mad River trail system by Friday August 22,2014. 

The Upper Entiat Valley will remain closed to public access so the following trails will remain closed until further notice

South Tommy #1423

Middle Tommy #1424

North Tommy #1425

Shetipo #1429

Garland Peak #1408

Entiat River Trail #1400

Duncan Ridge #1434

Anthem Creek #1435

Also the Lake Creek/Devils Backbone/25 Mile Creek Trail System will remain closed

The closure will be lifted to allow for access to Mad Lake, Two Little Lakes but not Klone Peak.

Any questions call the Entiat Ranger Station.

Thanks and Tread Lightly

USFS Entiat OHV Rangers

Can we get a list of open trails or a link to the notice?

why don't they just do what Idaho does....put a sign up that says "burnt area - ride at your own risk"

There are so many things WA could do better by emulating ID.  Instead we're governed by those who'd rather emulate CA (and yes, I know the Mad River/Entiat is fed, not state).

• Like 3

It will only get worse, the trend has been to keep this area closed as long as possible, lots of pressure against ORV in this area and history shows how many trails has been taken away or not maintained. They have kept an entire area up there closed in years past due to a 10 foot muddy spot that had an easy go around single track. It seems they delay opening an entire area for any weather conditions these days, then come Fall it gets shut it down because it starts raining. I do understand and respect issues with treading lightly, but common sense has been lost. I do believe the Fires may have been a factor in some specific areas that have been closed as there would be the need in managing the risks, resources, liabilities, traffic etc. during that time. However if it wasn’t the fires it would have had delays for some other reason for late opening. Seems that riding seasons continue to shrink and are managed understandably due to snow/ snowmelt issues, gone are the days when you could ride around or over the snowdrifts or thru a little mud. I’m thankful that I got a great June day riding thru the Devils backbone before fire closures(extra hour thru Back bone due two snow drifts) out to Lake Chelan and back. Next it will be that we are endangering the rare protected mosquito population in the area!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489499.649078.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489528.285656.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489591.004218.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489611.538809.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489641.637973.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489669.008227.jpg

• Like 6

It will only get worse, the trend has been to keep this area closed as long as possible, lots of pressure against ORV in this area and history shows how many trails has been taken away or not maintained. They have kept an entire area up there closed in years past due to a 10 foot muddy spot that had an easy go around single track. It seems they delay opening an entire area for any weather conditions these days, then come Fall it gets shut it down because it starts raining. I do understand and respect issues with treading lightly, but common sense has been lost. I do believe the Fires may have been a factor in some specific areas that have been closed as there would be the need in managing the risks, resources, liabilities, traffic etc. during that time. However if it wasn’t the fires it would have had delays for some other reason for late opening. Seems that riding seasons continue to shrink and are managed understandably due to snow/ snowmelt issues, gone are the days when you could ride around or over the snowdrifts or thru a little mud. I’m thankful that I got a great June day riding thru the Devils backbone before fire closures(extra hour thru Back bone due two snow drifts) out to Lake Chelan and back. Next it will be that we are endangering the rare protected mosquito population in the area!

?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489499.649078.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489528.285656.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489591.004218.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489611.538809.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489641.637973.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489669.008227.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408489499.649078.jpgj

Nice pictures and sentiment GLEN.  Good to see you on here ?

Joe

• Like 1

Talking with the rangers, the Tommy's remain closed solely to minimize interference with the fire operations bin the entiat area....it sucks for sure, but I do believe the entiat group isn't doing it to limit riding in the area, but to help keep it open for years to come. Let's keep in mind that, they (enitat ohv rangers) do enjoy andshare in the love of our sport. And want nothing more then to keep it going, besides if it gets closed.... They won't have a job

• Like 1