Sign in to follow this  

California 24 Hour Endurance Race Glen Helen

We're putting together a team of 50+ riders for the 24 hour endurance race at Glen Helen in October this year. Looking for some information:

1. Can you have a back up bike in case of total failure of the main race bike?

2. How many miles is the course generally?

3. Is it a rain or shine event?

4. Is there more than one rear wheel change out for a fresh tire during a 24 hour race?

Thanks

Steve

S&S Off Road Magazine

i have done the 24 many times.

1`. yes you can have another bike. it is in impound and you are not allowed to touch it unless you exchange the current bike for it. most people have their night bike setup in impound and swap when it gets dark.

2 the first time i raced it i believe it was about 18 miles. the most recent time was about 12. the laps are HARD. do not underestimate this race. it will kick your ass.

3. oh ya. i bet they would run this during the apocalypse

4. more importantly than tires is to change out the airfilter, but if you can, change tires when you feel like you need it.

I hope this helps.

this race should not be taken lightly. as i mentioned above, its gnarly. many guys i race with think its the hardest race you can do in the western united states and baja. yes, lots of my baja racing buddies think the course is harder than the 500 or 1000.

if you do not have experience racing at night, well. its a trip and a half and lots of guys have issues doing it. buy good lights, and work really hard on bike setup.

my absolute favorite part of the race is the camaraderie in the pits. if you have raced the 24 and finished, you are a beast!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info dirtymutt9

Mike you can do it as ironman (single rider) or on a team with up to 6 riders.

• Like 1

I did the 6 hour there once. That was an ass kicker.  It is a rough course. Mix of everything from high speed asphault to tight bike bending single track.  Have fun and post up a race report. 

• Like 1

The 24 hour is tough, especially when it gets dark. It's really hard to get any sleep when bikes are pinned going up the hills on the track. take naps when ever possible.
The 50+ clas will allow you 6 riders and 2 bikes. As mentioned above, 1 bike has to stay in the impound at all times and you Can't work on the impounded bike while it's there, meaning- repairs must be done on the clock. The 3 years we did it, the course was about 12 miles, approx 22-25 minute lap times. You should be able to get 3 laps out of a stock tank unless you're all ex-pro's..  We spend alot of time prepping the 2 wr450's we used, led headlight and helmet lights a +. New chain, sprockets (14-48 min lots of fast sections) tires, tubes, pistons, rings, seals-bushings and fresh oil the suspention and a few filter skins should get you to the finish! :)
Oh, did I mention the endurocross section?? Practice getting over 1 1/2' dia logs...lol Good luck!

• Like 2