Sign in to follow this  

1985? XR200R - what am I get myself into

Hey all,

I found a bike on craigslist.  It's listed as a 1986 XR 200.  Now first and foremost I actually think it's a 1985 XR200R.  Check out the picture below.  If it was an 86 wouldn't it have the white plastic?  Also, it likes like it has the dual header exhaust which indicated the four valve engine right?

So the guy says he rides it all the time, goes great but has a home-made shifter that needs to be replaced because a leaks a bit of oil.  I've read somewhere it's pretty common to jam the shifter and bend the shifter shaft.  How much of a big deal is this to replace/fix.  It looked to me like you could replace it by simply draining the oil, pulling the clutch cover and going to town.  I really don't want to have to split the case.

Oh and BTW - He's letting me have it for $250.  Check out the picture and let me know what you think, I'm supposed to pick it up on Wednesday.

pmU5UdH.jpg

Definitely a 4-valve dual-carb.  Engine looks exactly like my 85 250r - only difference between the bikes that I see is I've got a disc in front.  My forks are thicker, but the difference is too small to see here.  From what I understand, the 84-85 bikes had the best suspension of the whole xr200 run.  Ugly seat.  I'm sure you can find advice on the shifter shaft...should be much the same as most other xr & xl bikes from the early 80s thru the mid 90s.  If it runs and rides okay, $250 is probably a steal.

Ya that seat has to go for sure.  Being the 4 valve engine, I'm having a hard time finding out if the process for changing the shifter shaft is the same.  I'm really trying to avoid splitting the case and that might be a deal breaker for me.  Probably worth going to look at anyway though for that price and an hours drive.

Can anyone else chime in on the shifter issue?

I would get it. That rfvc motor is a tank. They put the crappy 2 valve motors on the later models and thats why everyone goes for the older models. Splitting the case isnt that bad if you just pay close attention to the way everything goes and print out manuals and stay organised. Putting in the shifter shaft is problibaly a days worth of work depending on if you want to replace the bottom end bearings while your down there. I would do it. You literally cant kill a honda RFVC

So you do have to split the case on this one huh?  I'm probably still going to get it but that kinda sucks.  On the 2-valve engines you can change that shifter shaft without splitting the case.

The 84-85 XR200R engine is just a small bore XR250R engine (plus a few other things to suit the smaller displacement. Honda made some changes to the 250 engine in 86, and a new design in 96.

A 84-85 XR200R/250R Service Manual will answer all of your questions about servicing the engine, or ask in the XR250 forum.

The 84-85 chassis became the 86 XR200R with changes for the different engine, that is why all of the chassis parts bolt onto the 86+ XR200R.

Will have to find myself a service manual.  I'm headed to get it here in a few minutes, totally stoked!  Might have to take a quick burn on it later today to see how she goes.

I dont think you have to split the cases, but you definately have to take off the clutch side cover.

• Like 1

I know on the 2 valve engines you take off the clutch cover and can change it from there, but I think with these 4 valve engines it's more involved.  Dunno, will have to look into it more.  Just got it home.  It actually doesn't shift at all.  Whatever they fabricated up only gets you neutral or 2nd gear.  Time to find me a service manual....I prefer the factory service manuals over the Clymer manuals.  Will have to look around.

Should be able to change the shift shaft without splitting the cases. You will probably need to buy or make a spanner socket to remove the oil slinger and clutch to get at it.

Well it doesn't really matter at this point because I took a closer look and the left side case is shot.  Looks like a total tear down to replace the case, grr.  Oh well, the bike is otherwise in pretty good shape for the year and runs good so it was still worth the $250 and it'll give me the oppurtunity to check seals and bearings and replace things in there for even more years of service.  Now i just need a service manual and all the specialty tools.