Sign in to follow this  

Is the DRZ the right bike for me?

Hi DRZ owers!

I came here searching for some advice. To make it short, I'm on my third DS bike in three years and I still not have found the right one for me.

My first bike was a TW200. I really loved it but his lack of power on the highway was the main reason I sold it.

My second one was a KLX250S 2009. At first I thought I had found my dream ride, but again, with a top speed of 75 mph, I had had time following my riding buddies on longer trips.

I liked both bikes on the trails I ride (forest service roads and light ATV trails) but I did not felt comfortable riding them on the highway. It was almost impossible to pass cars and headwinds were a problem.

In may I bought a KLR650 2002. I like the torque of the engine, his highway manners, but in the trails it's way too heavy to my taste. I'm not a small guy at 5'10'' 215 lbs and needing the help of a friend to pick my bike if it falls when loaded really pi»% me off. It's now for sale.

I'm looking at the DRZ400S and wondering if it's the right bike for me. I red tons of infos on the web about it, but not being able to do a test ride before purchase, your opinions are more than welcomed.

What I'm looking for in a DS motorcycle :

1 - Keep it for a long time (I'm tired a buying a bike, customize it to realize it's not the one for me).

2 - Reliability. When far away from home and civilization, I want peace of mind.

3 - Enough power to maintain 75 mph on the highway and still be able to pass a car if needed. Remember, I'm 215 pounds + gear.

4 - Luggage capacity. Two side bags and a duffle on the rear rack for longer trips.

5 - Light weight. I mean not needing someone else to pick up the bike if it falls.

6 - The possibility to mod it to my taste. Aftermarket parts for comfort and performance.

So, do you think the DRZ400S would suit my needs?

Thank you!

• Like 1

YES,  id say for sure,   i also owned a 250 before this,  and once tried a KLR650,  one is too weak,  the other way too heavy,  the DRZ is a perfect middle.

1,  you can keep it for a real long time IMO.

2,  very reliable,  needs some loctite at certain places,  but not too many issues with these bike,  and ease of maintainace.

3,  75 all day if you need it to,  tops out at right about 100.

4,  you can fit many luggage options on it,  it can handle the weight,  has a strong subframe for a passanger or luggage.

5,  its not super light,  about 320+,  but at 5'9 and 155 if i can pick it up,  so can you.

6,  more aftermarket parts then you'll know what to do with,  TONS of aftermarket stuff available for the DRZ,  tons of it. like a few choices for many popular parts. 

• Like 6

Ron pretty much nailed it.  The only thing with the DRZ is that at 75mph, it is buzzy / vibey.  There is still a little bit of power left on the top end to pass, but quite frankly not much (in stock trim).  You might also check out the DR650.  It is smoother on the highway but heavier for off-road riding.  For forest roads and light atv trails, it will do fine.  Muddy, rocky, root-filled single track... definitely not.

• Like 3

Ron pretty much nailed it.  The only thing with the DRZ is that at 75mph, it is buzzy / vibey.  There is still a little bit of power left on the top end to pass, but quite frankly not much (in stock trim).  You might also check out the DR650.  It is smoother on the highway but heavier for off-road riding.  For forest roads and light atv trails, it will do fine.  Muddy, rocky, root-filled single track... definitely not.

KLR650 and DR650 are the same damn thing. Too freaking heavy.

• Like 1

I just got a 2014 DRZ recently. I love it so far. It's not that great on long trips though. It likes to go more around 80 than 100 kmph....

But it's great in the trails, light enough to lift by yourself. Tons of mods.

If you are going to do ALOT of highway riding, it's not that great for long trips, it's a bit wobbly and light going 100-120kmph...

I commute daily on mine for the time being, and find that it is perfectly happy up to high enough speeds that I'm passing most of the rest of traffic.  It has the stock seat, which gets old after a while, so it will probably get a seat upgrade in time.  Then I don't see any reason I couldn't ride it from Washington down to visit my son in LA.

It isn't the perfect bike for anything, but it is very good for most things, so I'm pretty happy with it.

• Like 1

Thank you guys! A buzzy bike on highway doesn't bother me at all. The most I'll do at 70mph is 100 miles or so, really occasionnaly. I like the idea of a smaller rear sprocket. How the first gear compare to the first gear of a stock KLR who is awfully long?

I had similar bikes to you. Compared even to the tw I'd say the drz is buzzy. Obviously makes way more power like when on the tw you're caning it the drz you're feathering to keep it under control. Personally I dont like it much on the highway but 100 miles with a break no problem. I don't know my sprocket set up compared to stock but my first gear is like nothing. Not long by anyones definition. I had a xt 600 so probably similar weight to your klr and while its not hugely lighter it's enough that you notice and the suspension is way, way better. There isn't a perfect all round bike but drz strikes a pretty nice balance if you need to do some highway, trails and works good on my commute. If you want more from it in some area you can mod it to take you to hell and back.

on the highway your not going to win with an enduro, especially if you have it set up to work best on the trails .. all you'll do wringing it out at 70+ is grind the life out of parts and everything, my opinion .. but fire-roads and forest access trails that arnt too too gnarly, hell yeah .. the drz is the king hands down with the right rubber on it .. fire roads are about all i ride these days, theres miles of them aroud here .. cruising 40-50 through the woods ... nothing better ..

Edited by cowpie

Hi DRZ owers!

I came here searching for some advice. To make it short, I'm on my third DS bike in three years and I still not have found the right one for me.

My first bike was a TW200. I really loved it but his lack of power on the highway was the main reason I sold it.

My second one was a KLX250S 2009. At first I thought I had found my dream ride, but again, with a top speed of 75 mph, I had had time following my riding buddies on longer trips.

I liked both bikes on the trails I ride (forest service roads and light ATV trails) but I did not felt comfortable riding them on the highway. It was almost impossible to pass cars and headwinds were a problem.

In may I bought a KLR650 2002. I like the torque of the engine, his highway manners, but in the trails it's way too heavy to my taste. I'm not a small guy at 5'10'' 215 lbs and needing the help of a friend to pick my bike if it falls when loaded really pi»% me off. It's now for sale.

I'm looking at the DRZ400S and wondering if it's the right bike for me. I red tons of infos on the web about it, but not being able to do a test ride before purchase, your opinions are more than welcomed.

1 - Keep it for a long time (I'm tired a buying a bike, customize it to realize it's not the one for me).

2 - Reliability. When far away from home and civilization, I want peace of mind.

3 - Enough power to maintain 75 mph on the highway and still be able to pass a car if needed. Remember, I'm 215 pounds + gear.

4 - Luggage capacity. Two side bags and a duffle on the rear rack for longer trips.

5 - Light weight. I mean not needing someone else to pick up the bike if it falls.

6 - The possibility to mod it to my taste. Aftermarket parts for comfort and performance.

So, do you think the DRZ400S would suit my needs?

Thank you!

Look no further.....The DRZ400 would be a great bike for you !   :thumbsup::ride:

• Like 2

It's no motocross bike but it'll hold its own off road and is tons of fun on road.  The little 400 pulls better than you'd expect after a few mods, my friends klr doesn't walk away from it.

• Like 4

1 - Keep it for a long time (I'm tired a buying a bike, customize it to realize it's not the one for me).Yes, I plan on having mine for a long time. Running it to the ground.

2 - Reliability. When far away from home and civilization, I want peace of mind. Yes, these motors last a long time with only the basic maintenance. My bike is my only method of transportation.

3 - Enough power to maintain 75 mph on the highway and still be able to pass a caricon1.png if needed. Remember, I'm 215 pounds + gear. Yes, I commute with mine on the freeway everyday.  Note: I also live in LA where driving 80 is a norm.

4 - Luggage capacity. Two side bags and a duffle on the rear rack for longer trips. Yes, Tons of luggage options available. I'd suggest Wolfman.

5 - Light weight. I mean not needing someone else to pick up the bike if it falls. No, The bike is a pig. Weighs 320 lbs with fluids. With that said. Anyone can pick up a DRZ or heavier bike. Its the way you lift it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDNK_Ml7Hw

6 - The possibility to mod it to my taste. Aftermarket parts for comfort and performance. Yes, plethora of parts available. Wont be disappointed here.

So, do you think the DRZ400S would suit my needs? Yes!

P.S. I think this video would be great for you to watch.

http://youtu.be/9V0amf0YoUc

• Like 4

It's no motocross bike but it'll hold its own off road and is tons of fun on road.  The little 400 pulls better than you'd expect after a few mods, my friends klr doesn't walk away from it.

+1,  its very capable for being only a 400. 

• Like 3

This question is tough to answer.  It depends on what you are looking for.  The DRZ meets all the needs for me.  I don't want to ride a motorcycle over 80-100 mph.  That being said, the KLX gets there way faster than any car I've driven.  As others have said, its a solid 7.5-8/10 in every aspect, but some bikes will be better in other specific areas like dirt capabilities, street capabilities, ect.

From everything I had read and from my experience with my 2003 KLX, you can't do better.  I have done nothing but change the oil in my bike and adjust the chain in 3 years of owning it, and it start, runs, and rides like the day I bought it home. (okay i've done lots of other stuff but that wasn't NEEDED in any way, just wanted to customize my bike.)

I wouldn't cruise my bike over 75 for too long.  75 seems to be the sweet spot for my bike.  You can pass as needed and get the bike up to 95-100 easily though, but cruising for long periods of time above 75 is iffy to me anyways.

From browsing this forum it seems as though there are a ton of options for luggage capacity.  I can't say from personal experience.

I don't have a wide range of experience riding motorcycles, but the KLX is a very comfortable bike.  It is substantially lighter than a DR650 (the only other bike I have ridden bigger than a 250) and is quite nimble.  Picking it up is easy, especially if you are 215.

I cannot begin to list the modding options out there.  The platform of the motorcycle has been around and consistently selling for over a decade.  From body mods, to exhaust, to air filters, to big bore/stroker kits to take it from a 434CC to a 460CC, carburetors, ect, it's endless.  Not only that, but the mods for the DRZ ARE REASONABLY PRICED!  With all the options out there, pricing has to stay competitive.

I think you will find a nice balance of what you want out the the DRZ.  You should really consider it.   :thumbsup: 

And quite honestly, for a motorcycle that is 14 years old now, it's still badass to this day!  This thread needs more pictures to convince this guy!   :lol: 

12551864035_568a4d372e_c.jpg

9613304152_ac72ef700c_c.jpg

DISCLAIMER:

THE KLX I REFER TO IS IN FACT NOTHING MORE THAN A DRZ WITH GREEN SKIN AND A KAWASAKI BADGE, ALL THE THINGS I SAID WILL APPLY!    :smirk: 

• Like 2

Thank you guys for your help! The DRZ seems to be the right bike for me, I'll try to book a road test at the dealership this week.

I did the same post on a WR250R forum, but many guys talked me away from this bike... not saying it's a badone, but not really suited to my needs.

• Like 1

Maybe someone changed sprockets or something on mine but I've never seen triple digits on my bike, going down hill in a full tuck I hit 90something. I'm prolly 200 in gear.