Sign in to follow this  

What suspension adjustments for changing track conditions?

My son and I were at one of our local tracks on Saturday.  Overall, we are / were both happy with our suspension set up (front & rear compression and rebound, rear sag).  There were two straight sections of track (leading up to table tops) that went from being smooth in the morning to pretty rough with acceleration bumps in the afternoon.  It became very difficult to get a good drive up to the table tops because the bumps were kicking the rear end all over the place under acceleration.  Front end obviously wasn't affected as much.

What rear low speed / high speed compression and / or rebound adjustments need to be made to account for this type of condition?  I was thinking everything would have to be softened up a bit, but didn't experiment with any adjustments.

Thanks!

Dan

Usually takes a pretty fast rebound to hook up in the chop - might start there.

I have/would personally soften HS compression. Speed up rebound till it swaps, slow it down till it packs and work in that range.

On my good HSC circuit, 1/6 turn, or 1 flat makes a huge difference. More sag (can) help it track better as well. In my experience.

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I should have made some adjustments that afternoon, but wasn't exactly sure where to start.

Rebound rebound! HS only if the bike's additude feels out of balance through the chop. IE: rolling whoops rear feels like it is riding higher than it should.

I only adjust compression if the bike is either bottoming to much or is to stiff, usually when you get it set in the morning for the track the rebound is the only adjustment I need to make. unless its like glen Helen smooth in the morning and 2 ft braking bumps in the afternoon I don't mess with it. When I adjust rebound I shoot for a rear end that tracks straight and feels a little on the dead side.