Sign in to follow this  

Valve job

Hey would I have to shim my valves after my head gets back from the shop? After they replace all 4 valves... Is is going to be ready to slap back together or do I need to shim?

You'll need to shim the valves since the seats where recut.Did you use oem or aftermarket valves? What bike is it?

Edited by minimadness047

It's an 04 crf450r. And I don think the valves have ever been done before I haven't even took the head off yet but it started loosing compression and getting really hard to start until it just won't start any more the bike was never raced or dune ridden was just mainly used for desert trails I would think that the valves would be own but I'm not positive on that!

Ya it could be in need of valve adjustment or just need a valve job depending on the condition. If you go with stainless valves make sure you use the matched spring set for them since their heavier than the stock valves you have yo run a stiffer spring to reduce the chance of valve float.

Edited by minimadness047

Ya it could be in need of valve adjustment or just need a valve job depending on the condition. If you go with stainless valves make sure you use the matched spring set for them since their heavier than the stock valves you have yo run a stiffer spring to reduce the chance of valve float.

yep that's my plans :)

Sounds like your on the right track.let us know how it goes when you get it together.

so I got the bbt head and slapped it together shimmed it up and bike started on the second kick it runs like a bull on steroids lol the compression is way better and it runs and idles perfectly have no leaks or anything was really happy with the bbt head!!! Great product guys!!! I have one question tho I was out riding hoe about an hr with out any trouble at all and then we hit this tight trail and was just going really slow for maybe 20 min and we stopped and I shut the bike off and it was really boiling and very hot so I was wondering if it was just because we was poking around for to long or am I running it to lean I put the jd jet kit on it and put a 180 jet in it when it was 169 runs great but could somebody kinda run me through the air/fuel screw and how the right way is to set it? And is there any body that had hot start problems like when it's running I can pull it and it will just barely rev up not much at all could there be a possibility that it's stuck or something making it over heat?
  • Like 1

Whats the pilot jet in the carb? Stock or aftermarket pipe?

What did u have in the radiator for coolant?

I'm using http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Maxima-Coolanol-Coolant for coolant and I have a 45 for the pilot jet that what was in it when I got it but I put a new 45 in and it's got and fmf pipe with the power bomb header... And what should the compression feel like I don't have a compression tester so I'm not sure what to expect... I'd there such a thing of having to much compression? Edited by jsmxlove15

Normal, these bikes get hot real quick at low speeds without much air moving through the radiators. If you do a lot a tight trail riding, oversize radiators, high press radiator cap, engine ice, and catch tank all will help. Some guys have rigged up a battery powered fan aswell.

Edited by nzgsr
  • Like 1

Normal, these bikes get hot real quick at low speeds without much air moving through the radiators. If you do a lot a tight trail riding, oversize radiators, high press radiator cap, engine ice, and catch tank all will help. Some guys have rigged up a battery powered fan aswell.

ok that's reassuring lol I figured it was just cause we were riding slow :) it it happens to many times I'll check out the over sizes rads...

Ya it pretty common.get a 1.6 bar cap and you should be good.Shouldn't be real hard to kick.Even though its a 450.Is it really hard to kick?45 pilot jet is about right Id stay there.

Ya it pretty common.get a 1.6 bar cap and you should be good.Shouldn't be real hard to kick.Even though its a 450.Is it really hard to kick?45 pilot jet is about right Id stay there.

it's not to hard to kick I can push it down with my hand with a little struggle but it's not super hard... I like how it feels kicking it...

Sent from my iPad using Thumper Talk

Oh ok sounds like it turned out good..Yea Id get a high pressure cap.I rebuilt a kxf a few weeks ago that wanted to push water out the over flow if it sat just a little too long fixed with a high pressure cap.

Oh ok sounds like it turned out good..Yea Id get a high pressure cap.I rebuilt a kxf a few weeks ago that wanted to push water out the over flow if it sat just a little too long fixed with a high pressure cap.

yea I'm definitely getting that cap do you know of a good place to purchase it?

Probably online like ebay or motorsport.com

I'll check it out man thanks again for all the help!