Sign in to follow this  

Crank install, too tight.

I'm rebuilding my 05 crf250r bottom. 

I purchase a hot rods bottom end kit. Split the case cleaned up every thing, removed the old bearing. And installed the new bearings, after having them in the freezer for about two days.

When I tried to put the two halves of the case back together the crank shaft only slides on about half way on the left side. Right side slides on fine.

I tried the old oem bearing and that slide on the left side of the crank fine. 

I then removed the new bearing and once out for the case it will fit on the crank too. 

I did try re-installing the old bearing in the case and once in the case it only allows the crank to install half way, now a lot more that the new bearing.

How much force is acceptable to make this fit? I have watched videos with people both tapping the case together "which looked pretty gentle" and people using a crank installer.  

The manual doesnt really indicate any force to be required.

anybody got some ideas if I have something wrong?

Thanks

Are you sure the bearing is aligned in the case. Thats about the only thing that can cause a problem.

Or you have one of the shift fork shafts or other shafts misaligned.

WHich way are you working on the assembly?

I find having the trans, drum, forks, in the right side case then installing the left side cover is easiest.

Edited by nesc103y

Visually it looks to me that the bearing is flush to the case so I believe its in straight. 

Right now I have the trans, drum and forks and crank installed on the right side and am trying to drop the left side down. 

I though about the trans or something else causing it to hang up. So I just tried to install the crank into the left side directly and it stop at the same place.

I just got how today from work and tried to install the crank shaft again after leaving it in the freezer over night.

It slipping in when minimal force from me.

Guess I was just babying it too much.

Thanks for the advice