Sign in to follow this  

Taking a bike to the shop

I just bought a used bike and didn't notice until after that it was leaking oil. I'm not comfortable with taking my engine apart yet, so I need to take it to a local shop. Here comes the stupid question....do I need to make an appointment or is it the kind of thing where I show up with my bike and tell them my problem? Sorry for the ignorance. I just don't want to show up looking like an idiot.

What kind of bike, and where is it leaking, and how bad?

2002 YZ85. I think it's leaking from the gasket at the very bottom of the bike. Not the crankcase gasket, but the one next to that.

...and it's leaking quite a bit.

Cover both possibilities by calling first?

This.  Don't know if you don't ask.  I am thinking people these days don't know how to use a telephone, or maybe it is that people are afraid of talking on one?

• Like 1

"Taking a Bike To The Shop".

Six words that just make me cringe....

Just text the dealer and ask them what they think ;)

Personally, if I were you, now is a better time than any to start learning. But a factory service manual and start learning. It sounds like you might be describing the inner clutch cover gasket and it really isn't that hard fix. For what the dealer will charge you, you should be able to invest in a manual and a few decent tools. This investment will pay for itself over, and over again.

On the other hand you can pay the dealer a large sum of money, possible be without your bike longer than you desire, and not really learn anything. At some point your bike will leak again (cause that's what bikes do) and again you will be calling upon the dealer. Whereas if you were to do it yourself you will have gained some wrenching and manual consulting experience to better prepare you for when your bike breaks again....because it will ;)

• Like 2

"Taking a Bike To The Shop".

Six words that just make me cringe....

Just text the dealer and ask them what they think ;)

Personally, if I were you, now is a better time than any to start learning. But a factory service manual and start learning. It sounds like you might be describing the inner clutch cover gasket and it really isn't that hard fix. For what the dealer will charge you, you should be able to invest in a manual and a few decent tools. This investment will pay for itself over, and over again.

On the other hand you can pay the dealer a large sum of money, possible be without your bike longer than you desire, and not really learn anything. At some point your bike will leak again (cause that's what bikes do) and again you will be calling upon the dealer. Whereas if you were to do it yourself you will have gained some wrenching and manual consulting experience to better prepare you for when your bike breaks again....because it will ;)

That's true. I just don't want to mess anything up and pay even more because I did something wrong. I will definitely buy a manual soon.

• Like 1

That's true. I just don't want to mess anything up and pay even more because I did something wrong. I will definitely buy a manual soon.

If you mess something up it may cost you a little extra now...but the experience and skill you will gain from those mistakes will save you thousands and thousands of dollars over a lifetime of riding ;)

• Like 1

Dude, 2-stroke engines are literally THE easiest engines to learn how to wrench on. My yz250 was the first engine that I've ever done any work on. And that was a full on rebuild including replacing a crank case. It's back together and running like a top, reliable as any other bike. Just got a manual and went to town with brute force and ignorance tearing that sucker apart.

Mine bike is leaking oil, too. But it's the gasket just behind the front sprocket. So I just change the oil every ride and consider the leak to be "automatic chain lubrication" until I get around to replacing it haha.

Dude, 2-stroke engines are literally THE easiest engines to learn how to wrench on. My yz250 was the first engine that I've ever done any work on. And that was a full on rebuild including replacing a crank case. It's back together and running like a top, reliable as any other bike. Just got a manual and went to town with brute force and ignorance tearing that sucker apart.

Mine bike is leaking oil, too. But it's the gasket just behind the front sprocket. So I just change the oil every ride and consider the leak to be "automatic chain lubrication" until I get around to replacing it haha.

Adjust your chain properly so that it is not too tight. 99.999% of the time that is the cause of a ctr shaft leak. I'll bet three dimes and half a snickers yours is too tight. 

Adjust your chain properly so that it is not too tight. 99.999% of the time that is the cause of a ctr shaft leak. I'll bet three dimes and half a snickers yours is too tight.

:o how did I never think of that... I'll measure the slop soon as I get home haha.

Adjust your chain properly so that it is not too tight. 99.999% of the time that is the cause of a ctr shaft leak. I'll bet three dimes and half a snickers yours is too tight.

:o how did I never think of that... I'll measure the slop soon as I get home haha.

Take a pic of the location of the leak and post

it if you can. Might just need a new gasket,

or some Permatex Motoseal...might be a cheap fix

I definitely want to do that. I just don't know what gaskets to get D: