Sign in to follow this  

Street Tires?

Haven't been to the trails in a couple months now, just too busy. My bike's just for general city travel now. So, hypothetically, what would it cost to get an extra set of rims and some street tires? Preferably matching the stock wheels in diameter so my speedo is still accurate. If the price is right, I'd consider switching to street tires and leaving a set of dual-sport tires/rims in my garage, ready to install when I know I'll need them.

• Like 1

R6realtor is selling his stock wheels here on ADVrider.com: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993665&highlight=CRF250L

You could grab those and then slap some Shinko 705 series tires on them and have a great little street setup.

My buddy runs 705's. They are incredible for their price point. Highly recommend them for tarmac duty.

qtM53V4.png

• Like 2

Haven't been to the trails in a couple months now, just too busy. My bike's just for general city travel now. So, hypothetically, what would it cost to get an extra set of rims and some street tires? Preferably matching the stock wheels in diameter so my speedo is still accurate. If the price is right, I'd consider switching to street tires and leaving a set of dual-sport tires/rims in my garage, ready to install when I know I'll need them.

I like the Michelin Pilots .... I have thought if I do what you are doing ... I would put a 19 inch wheel on the front as that is what the flat trackers run 

3.25X19 up front and a 130-80X18 rear   .... maybe this winter I will order a new set from Dubya and if I do I will have a stock wheel set to sell .... at this moment in time I do not want to get rid of them just yet even though I do not use them.

or even something like this ..... :thinking:   I would want something I can still ride on dirt roads with .... 

11-ProjectKawasaki-5.jpg

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

I've got a distanzia on the rear with a little over 4,000 miles with about 1 or 2,000 miles left on it I've really liked them I've bought two more just in case the price goes up. I payed $108 for each the front is a gp-110 ( yes it's an odd set up but live on dirt roads and I need grip but it's wearing really well. Can take close up pic's if you want to see?

• Like 2

i have been running the shinko 700 on the rear..  (the front is still stock with over 12,000 miles on her)...  the shinko 700 has not let me down on road...  i put it on at 7800 miles and she is almost gone...  1/4 tread life left... (with roughly 4000 miles on them...)  its a soft rubber so she does grip well on road...  i've only been off road with her (on the beach and on sand trails another time) and the tire held its own...  i can drift it around on the sand/dirt roads...  but i can still lift the front in 1st and 2cd in the sand. so it apparently has some bite to it...  

if you go to 17's, i'd go with the michelin pilot 3's or 4's...  but if you are gonna keep the 21/18 combo, i'd get me a set of the shinko 700 or 705 or the IRC 110's like oath keeper had... rave reviews on them also...  

and here i go with the stock tires, but for on road, i road those treads like they were the michelin's...  lol never had a "oh crap" moment on them...  they held their own and looked good doing it...    just don't go off road with them is what i hear...  lol

• Like 1

I like the Michelin Pilots .... I have thought if I do what you are doing ... I would put a 19 inch wheel on the front as that is what the flat trackers run 

3.25X19 up front and a 130-80X18 rear   .... maybe this winter I will order a new set from Dubya and if I do I will have a stock wheel set to sell .... at this moment in time I do not want to get rid of them just yet even though I do not use them.

or even something like this ..... :thinking:   I would want something I can still ride on dirt roads with .... 

11-ProjectKawasaki-5.jpg

Does Dubya have a website? I use my CRF strictly for commuting, and want to stay away from a SM setup. Raising the forks 18mm brought a small but nice improvement in road handing, so have been thinking of relacing/replacing the front to 19". 

Edited by pigmode

Does Dubya have a website? I use my CRF strictly for commuting, and want to stay away from a SM setup. Raising the forks 18mm brought a small but nice improvement in road handing, so have been thinking of relacing/replacing the front to 19". 

After further research on flat track setups I have found that they run the same tire size and rim on both the front and the rear. I like the flat track look better than the Motard look ....  :thumbsup:  and it just seems more practical to me ....  :excuseme:

http://www.dubyausa.com/ 

• Like 1

i believe posi mentioned the front tire size at 18" being the tough part...  maybe about if they will be DOT approved or not...  but i know posi mentioned something about hard to find a good tire for this purpose..  not hard, but slim pickings...  i need a coffee...

• Like 1

i believe posi mentioned the front tire size at 18" being the tough part...  maybe about if they will be DOT approved or not...  but i know posi mentioned something about hard to find a good tire for this purpose..  not hard, but slim pickings...  i need a coffee...

I'll find some ...  :prof:

• Like 1

I have about 1k miles on my shinko 705s and the rear still has the little fingers on them. They are great on the road and replacing the front with one really helped the head shake at speeds over 70mph. They also hook pretty good on dry hardpack trails and even some light mud. On top of all that, they are a lot cheaper than the other options.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408730676.089398.jpg

Edit: these also come in stock sizes. The honda website calls out a 120/90-18 but my stock tires were actually 120/80-18. No changes to the speedo were needed

Edited by Bansheebro
  • Like 1

a younger guy who lives next door to the shop i work at seen my bike and asked what tire was on the rear, i said a shinko---- he cut me off and said "SHINKO" LOL  i said yeah... he said don't they just detonate on you for no reason??? lol  silly man...  he has 3 harleys and and is in the union  (AMERIKA!!!).. so china junk (his words) doesnt work for him...  he said the only guys he knows who actually uses a shinko is for burn out competitions...  i think i need to punch him in the throat... hahaha

I LOVE my shinko...  cheap and grippy...  no complaints on the 700 rear... cant wait to see how the 244 does on the parkway at 70-80mph...  

• Like 1

When i had my BMW -GS i used to love to out corner Harley's--they are heavy and the peg's drag easy--When they catch me at the gas station they couldn't believe it was a dirt bike that out ran them--I could almost drag the heads if needed-fun bike but tall!couldn't catch me in the staights either!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: CRF could out corner them with stick tires too!! :ride: :ride:

• Like 1

the harley-pop gang are the only ones who just cant let me pass them... they try all that they can for me not to go by...  its kind of like a laurel and hardy movie actually...  lol  i'v

i get by them, but they almost make it seem like they "let" me pass them...  hahaha...  idk... its just funny...

ive been contemplating a second bike, just kind of been all over the place about it...  but that will be brought up in another thread...

i really want the motard wheels for the crf, but at the cost, i can put it towards another bike... not that $1500 is gonna buy me a new bike, but its a down payment, or a good start...   so for now, i'll keep the knobbies for street and see what kind of bike i might find for a cruiser. but not so curiser... hahaha 

• Like 1

One two wheeled toy is all i can afford-- :facepalm: the looking is 3/4 of the fun i think-I gave up on Honda years ago when they built a factory in North Viet Nam and went to BMW's and Yamaha--this is the first Honda in years cause it's made in Thailand-Good luck   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

After further research on flat track setups I have found that they run the same tire size and rim on both the front and the rear. I like the flat track look better than the Motard look ....  :thumbsup:  and it just seems more practical to me ....  :excuseme:

http://www.dubyausa.com/ 

Thanks for the link. How about these tires--available in 18" and 19" front and compatible rear? 18"/18" should provide the same geometry as a supermoto conversion with a higher CG, which is the reason I'm thinking 19"/18".

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/31008/i/continental-conti-go-front-tire

Thanks for the link. How about these tires--available in 18" and 19" front and compatible rear? 18"/18" should provide the same geometry as a supermoto conversion with a higher CG, which is the reason I'm thinking 19"/18".

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/31008/i/continental-conti-go-front-tire

I like that idea and those tires ...

for me personally I want something a little more all season or dirt road oriented but they still need to have that roundness of the ones you linked to so a trials tire is out ... I am starting to look at tires like these .... but exact same size front and rear .... 

moto_alt_img_scorpion_mt_90a_t_set.png

• Like 1

I like that idea and those tires ...

for me personally I want something a little more all season or dirt road oriented but they still need to have that roundness of the ones you linked to so a trials tire is out ... I am starting to look at tires like these .... but exact same size front and rear .... 

moto_alt_img_scorpion_mt_90a_t_set.png

Nice, I should go this route with a 21" front. Much easier than relacing, and not sure its worth it for me spending too much on the CRFL. Maybe modest gains in tires and suspension are better, although the latter is close to $1k.

Now to figure out the widest tires that fit. If the Scorpion A/T front has a smaller O.D., I can raise the forks the last 5mm or so. 

Nice, I should go this route with a 21" front. Much easier than relacing, and not sure its worth it for me spending too much on the CRFL. Maybe modest gains in tires and suspension are better, although the latter is close to $1k.

Now to figure out the widest tires that fit. If the Scorpion A/T front has a smaller O.D., I can raise the forks the last 5mm or so. 

I think those Perilli's would be a nice street & dry mild trail tire ....  :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the same size front and rear tho ...  I wonder if a  4.00X18 will fit the front ....  :thinking:

Edited by gnath9

Whoa, now you got me thinking. :D

scroll up and take a good hard look at the Kawasaki .... I like it ...  :wub:

I could be wrong or being silly here but .... that is my style of Motard ....   :banana:  I just wonder how well it handles .... should be good as the flat trackers need a controlled slide ....  :excuseme: