Sign in to follow this  

Need fast advice about beginner bike

Hey guys so I know the topic of 125 2 stroke vs 250 4 stroke has come up many times but I want advice on my situation so plz don't hate on me for starting this again.

Ok so we just got the kid his first dirt bike a few months ago he's 8, I signed up for a years membership at the local track, I hadn't ridden dirtbikes in a long time I'm 30 now so at least 10 years and never on a track just messing about in fields and trails, I met a guy out there who gave me a run on his rm 125, I absolutly loved it I was on the flat track and when i got confident I took it on the kids track ( which is an awesome track) started doing small jumps and getting into the groove of it, I was hooked I sold my yamaha r6 and bought a yz 250, I was honestly not prepared for sheer power this bike gives out, iv rode sports bikes my whole life and this bike scared me more in the few hrs I rode it than any sportsbike ever did, anyway so the night I bought the bike I took it to the flat track had a lot of fun and when I started getting confident on it I took it on the kids track again, all was going good it was getting a bit to dark so I decided not to finish the track and jump off it on 1 of the corners this didn't go so well lol I ripped my leg open 8 inches just above my knee 16 days later and I'm just starting to leave the house, anyhow yesterday my buddy was going to take the kid out to the track for me so me and the girl decided we'd go to as well as her dad whose riding bikes his whole life, to cut along story short my girl took a run on the yz and nearly killed herself, how she managed to stay on is a miracle, and shortly after her father took the bike a run and decided to go on the big track and he's now laying in hospital with a shattered wrist and a very swollen ankle.

I'm not so worried about me I know what I did wrong and I think I could learn to control the power I'm a very fast learner when it comes to things like this, but wer looking to do this as a family with the kids to go out and have fun and not kill our selfs,

so my question is I want something that's fast enough for me to enjoy but that could also be kind of tame for my girl to learn on, I had such a blast on the rm 125 but I'm worried it might be 2 much for her, my buddies going to let her drive the rm 125 to see how she gets on but I'd still like advice on other peoples experiences

Thanks for taking the time to read I appreciate it, I just thought I'd mention the bike is already up for sale so your advice is really needed, thanks

Oh and I think I forgot to mention that when I do get another bike, it will be mostly flat track and trails, and the kids track, I will not be pushing this bike no wer near to the limit, I need to work so can't afford another injury, all I want is something that can give us a bit of fun, thanks again

Ok 125 Will teach you how to ride they are important to skill development the teach you how you to use clutch control you have to ride the pipe or the meat of the power band if you let the Rpms fall it will fall on its face but they are very fun bikes

250f has a more bottom end power and are a lot of fun you can lug a 250f which would be good for her so she could get the feel for it and it has more power than a lot give them credit for you can be a lil lazy on a 250 f and get away with it as long as you keep the oil changes and air filter cleaned both of you will love it.

I race hare scrambles on a 250f and I haven't met a hill that it want carry me up yet. But if you are buying used be careful with the 4 stroke do some research on what to look for cuz they will run perfect untill they blow make sure when you find the one look up the problems for that yr but hope I helped and have fun and ride safe

Thanks for the info man, have you any experience with the likes of the Ttr 230, I know what ever bike we get next, she's going to have to learn to master the clutch properly but I just want to make it as fun and as easy for her but still give me that buzz of riding it 2, I was chatting to a guy tonight and he suggested maybe not getting a full mx bike, but as I say I don't have much experience with these kinds of bikes so I really have no idea what would be a good bike, unfortunately at the minute we just have the money for 1

Yes a ttr230 or crf230 would be a good beginner bike, though neither are meant for much in the mx department. They will have a much friendlier power band than 2t and you won't have to keep it pegged out as much as a 125 2t

Another good thing about the 230s I thank they have the button I'm not sure but that would be a plus but if you are wanting a thrill you prolly want get it from them you mite at first maybe tho but If you do go that rout by the time you are ready to step up and get a 250f or somthing you mite have the extra money to get you somthing the 230 would be perfect tho their not as snappy as the 250f would be

230's are too heavy for most girls to be comfortable on (or anyone really).

Look at an 85 or kx100, a 125 isn't an animal either she should be fine if she understands throttle control. 

Yeah thanks guys no matter what I get she's just going to have to take it slow and learn to nurse the throttle when taking off, she was going pretty good on Sunday before the incident, the kid crashed into her back wheel trying to be smart and over taking her and then she was pretty wound up after that, I think a 125 will be perfect for her

Hey Matt, yea I think your right iv been actually thinking that the last few days, I think I was just upset on Sunday after everything that happened and that's why I put the bike up for sale, I love this machine and I really want to keep it, I think I'll maybe look out for a cheap kx 100 for her instead, thanks for the info

If you want a two stroke go for a kx125 or a yz125. I'd pick the yz. Make sure to buy one that has been maintained well. If you want a four stroke bike which I prefer, get a crf 230 or 250. They wont handle as well on the track, but are soooooo much more reliable then a two stroke. I am partial to Honda bikes.

Hope you get well and wont have anymore injuries. Take my Advice into consideration.

Thanks for the advice buddy, I take all advice I to consideration, I still have the yz 250 at the minute, it's hard to show people the bike when you can't really walk lol, I'm healing up a lot better but so that's good, a guy at the local tracks got an 05 kx 125 and he's interested in a trade so when I can get riding again weile swap bikes for a few hrs and go from there. My buddy just sold his rm 125 and bought a yz250f he loves it, he reckons that's the way I should go to but I'd just be weary buying second hand as I'm fairly new to dirtbikes, and I don't really have the money for a new 1, weile see maybe I'll just save up over winter and look for a 4 stroke before spring

Sounds great! I would consider doing the deal for the kx. Can I see picks? He should add cash to your side

I just got back riding too, I purchased a 2014 yz250 2stroke, had many of 125's and 250's back in the day, took me a while to get the hang back , daughter has a quadsport 80 four wheeler and the son a Polaris 50, I taught my wife to ride the yz and honestly she scared the you know what out of me. I bought her a used honda crf150r and now I can safely sleep at night, she seems to love it and can handle it pretty well. So maybe a option to look into.

I don't have pics of the kx but here's my yz ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409470005.447472.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409470021.550209.jpg

I came off the yz pretty hard and Had to change rear fender after I came off it, well my buddy did I couldn't walk for the last month, here's my injury ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409470094.298084.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1409470308.180899.jpg

And this is it a month on, starting to walk on my own without crutches 4 days ago, but I can't stand for more than 10 mins, it's going to take a while before iv a full recovery

I think you guys would like the 230's for a little bit of time. MAYBE a season or two, and you could save and possibly even try out a few bikes. However if you liked a 125 for power, you should look into a KTM 150/200. They have a much broader spread of power. Another option that would be lighter than the four stroke, but no electric start, and more beginner friendly would be a Kawasaki KDX 200/220. Nice trail bikes that are more capable than any 230 made. They are not too badly priced, and very reliable. The power is no where near the explosion from the YZ, and very controllable. There is an entire forum dedicated to the bike if you are interested in doing your own research. I think this would be a much more affordable way into the sport, and you won't get bored with the bike any time soon. The bikes I mentioned are all full sized bikes. My wife rides A KTM 105 SX. It works for her and honestly is more bike than she knows what to do with. We ride trails with it just fine, but she had to learn how to use a clutch to apply power on a hill, real fast. She can't come close to touching her feet to the ground on a full sized bike and she feels uncomfortable because of it. I will get one some day that I will have lowered, and seats shaved to fit her. She doesn't know what she is missing. Mini bikes make mountains out of mole hills.