Sign in to follow this  

KX 65 Crank Seal replacement without splitting?

My sons 2002 KX 65 is loosing transmission oil and its getting water in it as well. I haven't seen a change in coolant level but I think I need to replace the right side crank seal and the water pump seals. Has anyone done the crank seal job without splitting the cases? I really do not want to have to do that as the topend and crank are good.

It has been several years since my son had a 65, but I am almost postive you have to split the cases to replace the crank seals.

It's confusing because the parts fiche shows it going in from the outside and the manual dosnt say anything about how to install them just says to install them.

Transmission side is installed from inside. Have to split cases.

Pull the flywheel and the clutch cover and it should become obvious if you need to split them.

Yes I know, I'm waiting on gaskets and water pump seals right now. Still have a race to do this Friday. If I have to split them I'm going to wait until the top end is due to replace it. It's running fine just have to keep the trans topped off.

I'm assuming this is the moisture drain hole for the stator side:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408484731.180055.jpg

Also this plug was brand new three rides ago is this from oil seeping into the crankcase via the bearing seal?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408484791.578478.jpg