Sign in to follow this  

Trade an 11 KLX 110 for an 08 KTM 50 Senior?

My 9 year old has been riding for a few years and likes his KLX, but after a few trips to the track and seeing a few other kids on 2 strokes he's decided that he'd like to try a 2 stroke. He prefers to track ride, but I'd like to take him to the trails a few times a year also.

My first question is does the KTM work decent on the trails? According to KBB the dollar values are the same, just wanting some tips from those who've owned the little KTM's.

Here's the add for the KTM..

012b999f25dd17808c071bfd2bbd163d_zps4bed

He is going through the clutch and replacing the rings on the KTM right now, so I have until Friday or Saturday to make a final decision, I haven't seen the KTM in person yet.

The KLX is in excellent condition, rode for about 20 hrs so far. I bought it brand new in 2012 as a leftover. My concern is trading a "perfect" bike maybe to have to buy another used one to replace the KTM if he doesn't like it. I assume it will take him a few rides to decide if he likes it or not, I thought about buying the KTM and keeping the KLX for now, but my wife will be much happier with me if I do an even trade with no cash out.

Am I nuts for thinking about it, or should I make the trade? I figure worst case is he decides he likes the 4 stroke better and we sell the KTM and pick up another little 4 stroke.

Thanks for any opinions.....

From what I've seen at the track, the KTM minis seem to be very high maintenance bikes. The word at the track is "toss a $100 bill into the fire, I it doesn't phase you, get a KTM mini". I always see people having trouble with them. It could very well be the owners lack of knowledge though. Maybe with someone like yourself behind the tools you may have better luck. If I were in this position though, I don't know what I would do. Nobody else makes a 50 other than Cobra. You could either try you luck with the KTM if a new bike is a must at the moment or wait a little bit until the 65 would be an option. Them there will be many other options out there. I'm not trying hate on KTM's as I'm sure someone will attempt to accuse me of, but I'm just sharing what I've seen personally. Very tough decision though for sure.

• Like 1

From what I've seen at the track, the KTM minis seem to be very high maintenance bikes. The word at the track is "toss a $100 bill into the fire, I it doesn't phase you, get a KTM mini". I always see people having trouble with them. It could very well be the owners lack of knowledge though. Maybe with someone like yourself behind the tools you may have better luck. If I were in this position though, I don't know what I would do. Nobody else makes a 50 other than Cobra. You could either try you luck with the KTM if a new bike is a must at the moment or wait a little bit until the 65 would be an option. Them there will be many other options out there. I'm not trying hate on KTM's as I'm sure someone will attempt to accuse me of, but I'm just sharing what I've seen personally. Very tough decision though for sure.

You're right....the 50 seemed like a tight bike, but with the research I've done it seems like it can go either way. The KLX has been a great bike for him, it's just so heavy.

I'm going to take your advice and wait until next spring and look at the 65...thanks!

• Like 1