Sign in to follow this  

am i putting the oil pump cover on correctly?

my concern is the rod looking thing to the right of the oil filter, when i was pulling the cover off the rod lifted up about a quarter inch, i set it back down and turned it left and right and feels like its set in place but idk what its suppost to be set into.

1fa7nd.jpg

2z8vzix.jpg

That's the scavenge oil shaft, this is the one to be careful with.  The end of it is a tongue part of a tongue and groove, which connects to the primary oil shaft.  That star looking thing is the scavenge impeller, it collects the oil and pushes it back to the oil pump to accumulate and continue it's path.  The impeller sits inside the round thing, and the impeller is attached to the scavenge shaft by way of a 2 mm cotter pin, which goes  through the shaft, and impeller sits on it.  Back side of the impeller is a notch, where this pin fits into horizontally.  Turn the crank by hand/wheel or strap wrench, and see if the impeller turns as well.  It should if connected properly.

Where I messed up, is with that cotter pin.  It slid out a bit and was resting on the case a hair, and I tightened down scavenge pump cover to specified 86 inch pounds.  Seemed good to go, but one kick she fired up, and spit all the oil out of the over flow because the scavenge impeller, wasn't scavenging.  What happened was the pin dug into the case, and the primary shaft "groove" snapped off the "tongue" tabs, of the scavenge shaft.  They fell down into the case.  Major disaster.

That's the scavenge oil shaft, this is the one to be careful with.  The end of it is a tongue part of a tongue and groove, which connects to the primary oil shaft.  That star looking thing is the scavenge impeller, it collects the oil and pushes it back to the oil pump to accumulate and continue it's path.  The impeller sits inside the round thing, and the impeller is attached to the scavenge shaft by way of a 2 mm cotter pin, which goes  through the shaft, and impeller sits on it.  Back side of the impeller is a notch, where this pin fits into horizontally.  Turn the crank by hand/wheel or strap wrench, and see if the impeller turns as well.  It should if connected properly.

Where I messed up, is with that cotter pin.  It slid out a bit and was resting on the case a hair, and I tightened down scavenge pump cover to specified 86 inch pounds.  Seemed good to go, but one kick she fired up, and spit all the oil out of the over flow because the scavenge impeller, wasn't scavenging.  What happened was the pin dug into the case, and the primary shaft "groove" snapped off the "tongue" tabs, of the scavenge shaft.  They fell down into the case.  Major disaster.

wheres the cotter pin at? when i pushed the rod back down i turned it with my fingers and it has a slight play turning left and right but feels like its in the groove. ill turn it over tomorow thanks.

Well if you never pulled the whole thing out, you won't see it.  Think of it is a  "t", where the cotter pin is the horizontal line, in this actual character, "t".

• Like 1