Sign in to follow this  

Is there any association, throttle slide height to hanging idle

Just wondering if anyone else has associated throttle slide height to hanging idle issue?

Maybe William1 will chime in as well and has seen and commented on it.

Maybe I'm just the last man standing and doesn't know it........ oh man.

Edited by ronbuell

There is and there is not. On some bikes, the relationship between fuel screw adjustment and idle speed (slide height) is a very fine line and can be a pain to find that sweet spot. If the slide is a tad too high (sometimes a 16th or a turn of the idle speed knob is all it can take) puts the slide at the point of transition to the needle and and the idle can hunt/hang. So it is a game of making the fuel screw just rich enough and idle speed setting just barely low enough to make the hang go away. Setting the fuel screw with an abritrairly low idle speed,  and then raising the idle speed a tiny bit at a time, blipping the throttle after every adjustment  will often find 'that spot' where the idle can hang, then it is a simple matter of slightly backing off of the idle speed to eliminate the hang.

There is no visible to the naked eye slide height that is wrong. It seems an idle speed of 1,900 rpm can do it but an idle speed of 1,800 does not. Slide height is soley set on engine speed/operation and not a fixed 'dimension'.

• Like 1

Depending on the bike being in and out of gear must be taken into account as well due to what I assume are ignition changes due to being in gear. I can replicate this on Carbed YZF's over and over. 

MM 

I have cured a hanging idle by removing the top off of the carb and spraying contact cleaner down the slide guides. Then I put all my carb vent lines into filters. My hanging idle was caused by very little amount of dirt in the slide area