Sign in to follow this  

XR80 Won't idle when warm. Please help!

Alrighty... So I have a little XR80, and it's a great bike, it runs awesome, and has plenty of power, but it has one big problem. It won't idle when it's warm. When I first start it, it'll idle fine, but after a minute or so it's idle will slowly drop until it stalls. It'll run great as long as I'm giving it some gas, but I really need it to idle! I can adjust the idle screw up when it's warm and it'll idle a bit, but again, after a little time it will slowly drop, and eventually I'll have the idle screw turned up all the way. And it still won't idle. I mean it may for a second or so but then it'll die. So please help me! I set the valve clearence, cleaned the carb and air filter. Help!!!

0817141542.jpg

Alrighty... So I have a little XR80, and it's a great bike, it runs awesome, and has plenty of power, but it has one big problem. It won't idle when it's warm. When I first start it, it'll idle fine, but after a minute or so it's idle will slowly drop until it stalls. It'll run great as long as I'm giving it some gas, but I really need it to idle! I can adjust the idle screw up when it's warm and it'll idle a bit, but again, after a little time it will slowly drop, and eventually I'll have the idle screw turned up all the way. And it still won't idle. I mean it may for a second or so but then it'll die. So please help me! I set the valve clearence, cleaned the carb and air filter. Help!!!

some suggestions:

1) ensure the pilot jet is 100% clean (did you remove jets when cleaning carb?)

2) drain/clean tank and use new gas and a new plug

3) when doing valve adjustment what did you set clearances at? (also curious did you inspect cam lobes for wear?) It seems some suggest setting valves a touch looser than factory spec...

4) looks like a newer xr80 so no points... plug wire in good condition?

How's the compression?  If it's a little low you might try running a hotter plug, did wonders for my son's XR80 until I can get it torn down for a rebuild