Sign in to follow this  

Is a CRF450X to heavy for me?

I have been riding a YZ 125 for a couple years now and am pretty comfortable on it and can climb over just about anything. I do enjoy the lightness of the 125. I ran into a good deal a just got a CRF450X. I haven't ridden it on the trail yet and was wondering if it is to big for me. I am 5'11'' and 150 lbs at 16 years old. I will probably grow to about 6'0'' or 6'1'' 180 lbs. If you guys could list your weight and height in your responses it would be helpful too. I know the only solution is to ride it and see if i like it, but if you could give me your opinion while I am waiting to go test it out it would be appreciated. 

All I can say is, I wish I were 35 pounds lighter. That'd put me at 150 and make the bike just crank that much more. You're gonna love the 4-stroke grunt. It's just longer gears.

RZ Rob

Try to get the suspension set for your weight, height, and ridding style. If its not the bike may feel very heavy and unmanageable. 

I own both a 250 and 450 '09.   I'm 5' 10', weight 183 at the moment. 

For the type of riding I do (woods), I like the 250, but if it opens up in the slightest, I like the 450.  There's only a 14lb difference between the two, but the 450 is wider up by the tank and carries that 14lbs up higher.   The 450 wears me out a lot faster though.   If your going for it, it's a lot to hang onto.

Coming from a 125, I think your going to like the 250 more, but if your into fast desert riding, etc, your going to want the 450.   I often find myself wanting a little more out of the 250 and wish it had a sixth gear (to be fair, I have geared it down to 13/53, so 1st is not all that usable).   With that said, most riders around here (NY) will tell you straight out that unless your tackling some very big hills, a 250 is all you really need. 

Motor wise, both my bikes are stock except for opening up the air box and rejetting.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

Is the 450X too heavy? Are you weak? Come on, man up.

All kidding aside, can you pick it up if you tip over? Can you lift the front or rear end off the ground? Neither matter while riding, but can be important when stopped. 

I'm about 6'2", 230, but I don't think that really matters with regards to how the bike weight affects the ride. I find the 450X to be a fun handful on tight mountain single track. And pure joy in the desert.

I’m 6' 2" and weigh 300 lbs. with gear.  I am built like a linebacker in the shoulders and I carry some extra around the middle for sure.  I rode tight woods and single track stuff a couple years ago on a 09 XR650L.  That is a heavy bike.  I traded it for my 05 450X and am happy I did so.  The 450X has way more scoot and instant throttle usage then the 650 ever dreamed of doing and I had that 650 dialed in.  I had my X sprung and valved for my weight and riding style.  The X is very light for me and I throw her around like the dirty girl she is...from time to time...but don’t think for a second that she won’t put you on your a$$ in a heartbeat.  My honest opinion is what you think is too heavy or too much bike.  At your age I had been riding for 8+ years and was riding old XR500's and XR600R's every chance I got.  I grew up on a farm and we had literally dozens of dirt bikes...But I also knew that I could handle them when it came time for throttle management and picking it back up and getting it started when thinks got sideways.  First time i asked to ride a 250 I was 10 years old.  My dad said sure...and pushed the bike over.  He said I needed to pick it up and start it and get going without any help...I did too.  If you understand that the X is a race machine and have confidence in your ability to control that race machine then I think you are going to really enjoy riding her. 

The other side of this coin is maintenance.  The 450X needs to be maintained and things checked.  Run the transmission side of the bike a whole quart of fluid if its 2005-2007.  I think in 08 they fixed that issue with the oil in extended runs in high gears.  I have never changed the oil more on any other bike then this 450.  The titanium valves on the intake will need to be watched for wear and then a SS intake conversion will need to be done.

• Like 1

Compared to a YZ125 of any model year, any model year of CRF450X (or any 450 dirt bike, be it a WR450F, CRF450R, RMZ450 - you name it), will give you a heavier feel, especially when maneuvering the bike on tight trails.

Whether or not you will be able to accept that is going to be up to you.

The CRF450X's saving graces are torque and power you can only get from more CCs, a good-quality suspension, and inherent straight-line stability that is excellent.

This all makes the CRF450X feel safe and secure and rock-solid while at speed over rough ground - the bike feels in it's element while going fast over off-road terrain.

If your preferred terrain is not fast, it may not be the best bike for it.

That ultimately depends on your decision.

At your stated physical size and weight, combined with your youthful age and (I assume you have this) high enthusiasm for dirt bike riding where you are probably willing to ride almost anything, I really doubt a CRF450X is too large or heavy for you to manhandle, including picking it up off the ground.

I believe it will come down to your ability (skill) to ride the bike more than anything.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 2

My wife runs a 450x in the woods and the desert.  She had a 250x also but after one lap of the single track up here in northern AZ we sold it.  She drives more than drives but can wrestle that thing with the low end grunt with the best of the guys.  She was 1w on the 250, racing with the boys this season in c40+ on the 450!