Sign in to follow this  

Honda CRF250L or Yamaha WR250R

Hi,

I currently have a Honda CRF 230 and use it for trails (no motocross really). I'm not a hard rider but I do love the 230.

I have been thinking I'd like to trade up to a Dual Purpose bike. The two options I'm considering are the Hondaicon1.png CRF250L and the Yamaha WR250R.  I have sat on the 250L (but have not ridden it). I'm 6'3" -- I hear the Yamaha has a high seat. Not a problem for me.

This bike will be used mostly for trails and a bit for street.

I would ideally like to hear opinions from someone who has been on both of these bikes, but any opinion is very welcome.

Thanks!
Mike

Wr hands down I have owned both and I ride with a guy that still has a crf and my other buddy has a wr as well. Don't get me wrong for the price the crf isn't bad at all but the performance is just not there compared to the wr, plus with your height you would look strange in my opinion on the crf as it is fairly lower. I actually got rid of my first wr to get my current 13 ducati hypermotard but missed the wr A LOT so i just bought a 14 and couldn't be happier. The crf for me just runs out of power I literally have to full throttle it in every gear to make it rip like I like to ride, the wr just has so much more on tap that I don't run out plus the way I ride is more like a two stroke and in my opinion that is how you should ride the wr like 2stroke.

Here is one of my last vid my buddy took of me on my white crf, to get it to wheelie like that I have to full throttle it and pop the clutch to make it go up, on the wr totally stock engine but with a 49 tooth rear I can easily pop it up third no problem.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FEEjAWivII8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and my new wr

http://youtu.be/6vqFleiDX1A?list=UU9nadkWEnXh6hYqgivvI-uA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6vqFleiDX1A?list=UU9nadkWEnXh6hYqgivvI-uA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/T1TVwARQ-5g?list=UU9nadkWEnXh6hYqgivvI-uA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T1TVwARQ-5g?list=UU9nadkWEnXh6hYqgivvI-uA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by r6realtor
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for the reply. I sat on the WR today. It's a big bike, at least if feels big. Unfortunately a test ride isn't possible at my dealer. I'm still thinking...

they both need upgrades pretty much immediately... sprockets are a must for both, the wr kicks butt with a 13/ 49 tooth (stock a 13/43)and I ran a 13 tooth and 44 tooth rear on the crf(stock 14/40 i believe). The wr responds to mods much better as well, pretty consistently by opening up the airbox, fmf programmer, ais delete and exhaust the wr seems to throw down 30-32hp on the dynos, the crf isn't even getting that out of the 305 big bore kit and its 25 pounds heavier. I always bottom out the crf suspension as well at first I thought it was pretty good but as I got better and better on the bike the suspension bottomed out every single jump. Again not bashing the crf at all, I just think the wr is the better bike out of the 2

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm new to riding. Used to when I was a kid, now I'm 51 and pretty much just doing this to run trails with my 10 year old son. He's into the jumping and stuff. Not sure I will get into it. But I want a good trail bike that can go on the street. Sounds like the CRF isn't great on dirt stock, but if I upgrade it, it might suit the bill. Sounds like the WR might be a bit too much bike for me right  now. Maybe an upgrade down the line if I go further with this. Still not sure.  Thanks very much for the  suggestions!
Mike

Even if this wasn't a Yamaha 250R forum I'd still say the same thing based on owning both the 250L and 250R: without a doubt, for what the OP wrote, the Yamaha is a MUCH better choice for his needs. Not to say the Honda is a bad bike, not at all.

• Like 1