Sign in to follow this  

Good Shoes / Boots for the Street

I have a set of full sized Thors for riding in the dirt, way too cumbersome for putting on while riding the DRZ400-S on the street.  What do you guys suggest wearing while on the road?  I gotta admit, I kind of Verp when I see $140 for Icon Street boots on Amazon / Ebay for $140.00

Please Disregard the need for a reply, upon originally posting the beautiful wifey suggested these in grey:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271526925067

Edited by coreseller

Even for street riding you should still wear boots,  ive been wearing the Bilt explorer boots for years now,  on and off road,  as comfortable as a shoe,  can be walked in all day long,  and very affordable,   only $79 when on sale. 

• Like 3

Even for street riding you should still wear boots,  ive been wearing the Bilt explorer boots for years now,  on and off road,  as comfortable as a shoe,  can be walked in all day long,  and very affordable,   only $79 when on sale. 

Thanks 150ron for the advice, I figured I wanted something to cover the ankle bone just in case.  Wearing something comparable to a full sized Thor Boot like I do when riding in the woods while on the street is simply not an option, no way no how.

I just picked up a pair of the black Alpinestars tech 2 boots, love the feeling of the protection of the boot without the full height.

I added an extra innersole for some extra padding, very happy with them, 

I just picked up a pair of the black Alpinestars tech 2 boots, love the feeling of the protection of the boot without the full height.

I added an extra innersole for some extra padding, very happy with them, 

Those are very nice Duke.  I honestly would of loved to have been able to drop the $200 but given what I have spent in the past 4 weeks (2 used but nearly new dirt bikes, full head to toe garb for me and the kid including helmets, boots, impact rigs, jerseys and pants, trailer, padded jacket for myself, etc.) I am very fortunate to not be in the federal witness protection program :).

Edited by coreseller

I would just wear your protective boots till you can save up for some good protective lower boots. When you brake an ankle you will be kicking yourself for getting cheap shoes. It may not happen but I can tell you from experience that a ripped tendon will not only keep you off bike for a while but the rest of your life is changed. I have even recently in boots that I thought were good, broke two toes on a small impact. I can say though that I may have been worse if my foot bent back. Just makes me cringe when I see people out riding in sneakers and shorts.

• Like 1

I would just wear your protective boots till you can save up for some good protective lower boots. When you brake an ankle you will be kicking yourself for getting cheap shoes. It may not happen but I can tell you from experience that a ripped tendon will not only keep you off bike for a while but the rest of your life is changed. I have even recently in boots that I thought were good, broke two toes on a small impact. I can say though that I may have been worse if my foot bent back. Just makes me cringe when I see people out riding in sneakers and shorts.

The last time I went down on a bike was in 1985, I was wearing gym shorts, a t-shirt and moccasins.  Save your comments (I know some won't), yes I was an idiot.  I high sided over the handlebars on my beloved 1985 Suzuki GS700E at around 50 mph, miraculously I only had severe road rash.

Now that I'm older and wiser, riding on the street will be minimal but if out I will be prepared.  Wearing boots up to my knee isn't plausible, the above mentioned boots linked are perfect for what I want..

Edited by coreseller

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/33340/i/alpinestars-ridge-waterproof-boots?device=m&network=g&matchtype=b&gclid=CPGj-5ytnsACFSdk7Aod_ScAFQ

Check these out... I actually have an older version of these but for the money and the ankle protection and not big and bulky they are a great deal and a great boot! I love mine... not ideal for big mud runs but I have had them out in the woods. Not much grip! But for daily street use with an occasional off road rip these should do!

Those are very nice Duke.  I honestly would of loved to have been able to drop the $200 but given what I have spent in the past 4 weeks (2 used but nearly new dirt bikes, full head to toe garb for me and the kid including helmets, boots, impact rigs, jerseys and pants, trailer, padded jacket for myself, etc.) I am very fortunate to not be in the federal witness protection program :).

Thanks, I see your point on the cost thing, I went with this style as most of my riding is done on the city / suburb streets so need a boot more for this than Full off road style,

I have used them for some light dirt riding and they stood up to the job well, I did have full waterproof adventure style pants on that saved water from getting in the tops of them after a few creek crossings and puddles,

Like mentioned above in posts, I have had 13 broken bones in my foot from a car accident and still have screws in the foot holding it together so having the extra protection over a hiking/ runner type shoe makes the difference, don't want to have to learn how to walk again,

I want a pair of these Sidi! Just don't have 600 bucks to spend on boots! :( Everything is replaceable on them though so once you break them in and wear out the soles or guards you just order new and slap them on!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-crossfire-2-srs-boots

Edited by Decil Moto
  • Like 3

I want a pair of these Sidi! Just don't have 600 bucks to spend on boots! :( Everything is replaceable on them though so once you break them in and wear out the soles or guards you just order new and slap them on!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-crossfire-2-srs-boots

Red / White / Blue color!! I want them so bad lol! Plus you can put the motard soles on. I took my tech 3's to the canyons. Just for one day and they got beat up!

• Like 1

Here is two of the boots I have worn,the Shift I wear if I am going on a short ride on an errand or to the store and do offer some protection for the ankles and the other is an Icon Patrol boot that I wear on longer rides on road and some mild off road.They are really comfortable

and they don't feel like ski boots if stop for lunch somewhere and have to do any walking.

918e4221-b8b9-4722-8240-753e61331cac_zps

• Like 1

I've been wearing a set of gaerne classic trials boot. Super comfy. Easy to put on. Grippy sole. Full ankle protection. Easy to walk in. A bit pricey.

123.jpg