Sign in to follow this  

Stripped long Clutch cover bolt!

I have a 2009 300 xcw. I was in a situation where I had to rush like all hell and tighten everything. The last bolt which I needed to tighten was a long bottom clutch cover bolt. As I was tightening it it clicked and now keeps spinning. How can I possible fix this?!

If you can back it out replace the stripped threads with a helicoil insert. I stripped one on my 13 250 sx. Get the right size, drill carefully and insert the helicoil with the tool provided. Put a little grease on the drill bit. Go slow and back it out every couple turns in and remove the shavings as you go. After that the helicoil will screw right in. Insert a new bolt and of course don't over tighten. Mine has been perfect ever since.

Ok I will look into what a helicoil insert is, I think I can picture it. By the way it is the long bolt that stripped so do I need to take the right engine side cover off to do this? If you look at your clutch cover its the bottom right bolt.

If you can back it out replace the stripped threads with a helicoil insert. I stripped one on my 13 250 sx. Get the right size, drill carefully and insert the helicoil with the tool provided. Put a little grease on the drill bit. Go slow and back it out every couple turns in and remove the shavings as you go. After that the helicoil will screw right in. Insert a new bolt and of course don't over tighten. Mine has been perfect ever since.

I got away with using a slightly longer bolt to engage more threads.  I looked up the length of the stock bolt and searched through a few different OEM part diagrams to find a 5mm longer bolt.  I ended up with one off a Honda and I had to shorten it a couple mm.

X2 on the longer bolt.  I have stripped a few KTM cover bolts over he years.  Slightly longer bolt usually takes care of it.

I agree with a longer bolt...I have also used the next size bolt on some, a 7mm bolt may just clean up the threads and work.

You guys are great. I was thinking about using a slightly longer bolt the whole time. I will try that, if it doesn't work than Im going to be doing the helicoil method.