Sign in to follow this  

Steel Gear vs Aluminum

So I'm converting my WR450 to a Supermoto and thought I read I should ditch my aluminum rear gear and use a Steel one.  I also have a really good dirt bike O ring chain, should I keep that or use a different one or is there one recommended for Supermoto's ?

Thanks in advance for the input

i prefer steel as the sprockets seem to last longer but are a little more heavy than aluminum which isnt a big deal.

That's kind of what I thought to, I'm ordering my new gear tonight and just wanted to see if there was something I was missing.  I've done a search a couple of times and really couldn't find an good discussions.

Thanks again :-)

• Like 1

Steel. They'll last significantly longer than Aluminum. Plus the miniscule weight difference won't matter what so ever on the street.

You should be able to use your chain as long as the o-rings are good and it hasn't somehow worn out, although I haven't seen one snap or wear out.

Steel. They'll last significantly longer than Aluminum. Plus the miniscule weight difference won't matter what so ever on the street.

You should be able to use your chain as long as the o-rings are good and it hasn't somehow worn out, although I haven't seen one snap or wear out.

Thank you, almost did a Buy It Now on a new chain, I'd rather save some $$ for other stuff I need.  Plus I just found a long winded debate on the subject on another site and it's really hard to figure out what is what, almost a trial and error type thing...

Edited by Eyesell

Thank you, almost did a Buy It Now on a new chain, I'd rather save some $$ for other stuff I need. Plus I just found a long winded debate on the subject on another site and it's really hard to figure out what is what, almost a trial and error type thing...

Unless you're a pro racer or can feel every tiny difference in your bike, the difference between a steel and aluminum sprocket won't matter, which is why I use steel. I'm not experienced enough to feel the difference between the two.

I look at it from a financial and time standpoint. The steel will last longer, and is cheaper, so I won't have to change it for awhile, and it won't cost me much to replace it.

I ordered the sprocket, gear and chain kit from Renthal, something like $160,00.  I agree with you MaybeMe, the less maintenance I have to do the better, but always being cost conscience.  We all work to hard for what money we have...and I do believe you get what you pay for.

I'm your basic woods rider gone Moto, I have a 2005 WR250 I'm keeping for my yearly woods trips.  I plan on bopping around town a lot on my 450 Moto though, can't wait to complete this. 

Thanks again

For what it's worth, I believe in a Dirt Rider test they changed out the stock rear sprocket on a WR450F with some aftermarket one and it saved a pound.  I was surprised there was that much difference.

Could do a renthal twin ring best of both worlds !!

terrible sprocket, wears alot higher and when they wear out expect a show.

For what it's worth, I believe in a Dirt Rider test they changed out the stock rear sprocket on a WR450F with some aftermarket one and it saved a pound.  I was surprised there was that much difference.

My fat a*s it won't make a difference, that's one trip to Wendy's...or a couple extra chilly ones on the weekend :-)

• Like 1

terrible sprocket, wears alot higher and when they wear out expect a show.

I dunno never tried one yet, It has good reviews on Motosport,com. Maybe you had an isolated issue.

deffinetly go steel for the little extra weight you get alot more life out of it

The key to sprocket longevity, whether it be steel or aluminum, is the chain.  A non o-ring chain wears sooner than an o-ring chain, because of dirt getting inside of the rollers and wearing the pins, plates and rollers.  That wear increases the distance between the rollers, which in turn wears the teeth on the sprockets.  An o-ring chain has the o-rings that keep out the dirt, but they have a little bit more rotating drag to them.  But like most have said, at the amateur level I don't feel like there would be much difference, if any, in feel or lap times.  Me personally, I run the Ironman steel sprocket and an o-ring chain.  The Ironman sprocket is only slightly heavier than an aluminum sprocket, but when you rotate them back and forth in your hands, the rotating inertia is very similar.  I've had my setup for about 5 months, and showing no signs of wear; and I ride/race 1-3 times a week.  One thing of note, I don't lube my chain directly.  The chain pins and rollers are sealed, and it will just collect dirt.  I only lube the slides where the chains links will rub.  I either use heavy duty silicone spray, or chain lube.

• Like 1