Picked up my new toy today

X326X from this board had given me a used bridgestone m404 rear tire for it so I got that mounted up this morning.  The chain and sprockets need replacing but that is not in the budget right now, going to have to make due with this combo until next spring(when I put a new top end in it as well).  I got the new handlebars in the mail today and will get them mounted up ASAP.  It needs a new throttle cable because the old one is kind of locked into the throttle pulley so I will have to work that one out with penetrating lube and put the new one in.  Other than that, it is in great condition, very low hours for its age.

• Like 1

X326X from this board had given me a used bridgestone m404 rear tire for it so I got that mounted up this morning. The chain and sprockets need replacing but that is not in the budget right now, going to have to make due with this combo until next spring(when I put a new top end in it as well). I got the new handlebars in the mail today and will get them mounted up ASAP. It needs a new throttle cable because the old one is kind of locked into the throttle pulley so I will have to work that one out with penetrating lube and put the new one in. Other than that, it is in great condition, very low hours for its age.

what did u pay for it?

k, so I installed my new handlebars, a new throttle cable (the old one was stripped at the throttle tube so I couldn't adjust it), a good used back tire, and switched the front tire from my 125 to this one.  I also put the N3CW needle in it per RTV's recommendations.  I have not had a chance to get it to the track yet but just some initial up and down the street side by side comparisons with my 06.  Stock for stock the 03 is a much better engine than the 06.  It still has a soft bottom end but not as soft as my 06 had, it builds power smoothly pulling hard through the mid range and keeps pulling all they way through the power curve, very linear.  The 06 stock had literally no bottom end, the mid range hit like a freight train and then it would sign off soon after.  Comparing the 03 to the 06 that has had the base milled and the head cut for pump fuel with some minor porting in the transfer ports by Eric Gorr; has the 06 with much more low end, and pulls just as hard through the mid range and top.  My son loves the smooth power and doesn't want me to modify it at all so I am not going to send the motor off for cylinder/head work but I may use the thinner cometic base gasket when I rebuild it next spring just to see if that helps the soft bottom end at all making it a bit stronger from bottom to top.  (I'm going to use a wiseco piston on this one so I can drill oil holes for it since I have seen too many 03 cracked exhaust bridges on this board)

• Like 1

k, so I took my 250's to the track today and was able to do some riding on both of them.  I rode my 06 for about an hour while my son rode the 03 and while he rested, I took the 03 out for about 5 laps.  Impressions; the 06 is way stronger off the bottom and has just as much mid and top as the stock 03.  The 03 is electric smooth and has a really strong mid range and top but a bit soft on the bottom.  My son loves the power of the 03 though so we are not going to modify the motor right now, if he wants more power in the future I will send it to Eric Gorr for a "mo betta" porting job.  The bikes suspension felt really smooth to me but my 06 needs fork seals so that was probably part of it, also the 03 had a leaking fork at the end of the day so it looks like both will need seals.  I guess that is what happens when a bike sits for a long time and then you take it out and work the suspension hard.  I couldn't be happier with the 03, if I had known how smooth the power was stock, I probably would have bought one for myself when I bought my 06, having said that, I love my modified 06 and wouldn't trade it for the 03 if I had a chance today. 

• Like 2

How did the N3CW work for you?

I have it in the 03 and it runs really crisp.  My son loves the power delivery of the 03 so I think I will be done tinkering with that one's jetting.  My 06 I have the NECW in and it has some issues.  It seems to be a bit lean off the bottom (with the #7 slide) but rich through the mid range and top.  I am going to try a 45 pilot on it and see if that cleans it up. I also have the Honda needle I can test as well.  If I decide I don't like any of these needles (I really like the power the NECW gave my 06 but I don't like the lean surging after letting off the gas) I am going to go back to the JD red needle which was working really well in my 06.

I had the same lean surging in mine when I tried the NECW.  In my notes I tried the NEDH, and was much better, but very linear, and went flat on top.  I found the A715 to have a nicer hit.  I bet the A725 for high desert Utah riding might also work well.  I still have several settings to try, but am very happy with the N3CW and #8 slide.  I'll be trying the NECH and the D490  in combo with the #8 slide this weekend.

I had the same lean surging in mine when I tried the NECW.  In my notes I tried the NEDH, and was much better, but very linear, and went flat on top.  I found the A715 to have a nicer hit.  I bet the A725 for high desert Utah riding might also work well.  I still have several settings to try, but am very happy with the N3CW and #8 slide.  I'll be trying the NECH and the D490  in combo with the #8 slide this weekend.

I have the NEDJ needle but not the NEDH.  I loved the way the power hits with the NECW needle, maybe I will look into getting the NEDH.  I also have the A725/289r needle, maybe I will try that with the #8 slide and see how I like it. 

Here is my new to me 03 cr250. Thought I would post some pics of it

20140818_184635_zps8ejiuo2c.jpg

20140818_184621_zpsbqw1sttl.jpg

Dude--I see that 125 steel frame behind the 250.. all you had to do was throw on the 250 exhaust, and viola!! you have a 250 smoker.

And all you gotta do is add aluminum frame guards.. and you got an aluminum frame!  Geez can't believe you didnt think of this.

Nice bike.  Honda smokers are bulletproof.