Sign in to follow this  

What kind of coolant do I use in my 2000 kx250?

Buy some Spectro or Maxima coolant unless the bike had engine ice.

You can usually tell what brand coolant it had previously from it's color.

If you mix regular coolant and Engine Ice, it'll gel up and clog everything, most likely seizing the bike.

any name brand 50/50 blend off the shelf coolant works fine.

^^ This ^^

I run GM Dexcool. 3 reasons: It's readily available at work, It's free and it is actually compounded with with a lubricant. I run it straight, not mixed 50/50. The bikes hold less than 2 qts and it usually drained within 2 months for a topend change anyway.

BTW, It's also great for locks in the winter. Dip a lock in Dexcool and it'll never freeze up.

Just about anything will work.  50/50 is good if you leave the bike outside.  If you keep it in a garage and it doesn't get too cold you might be better off with more water in the mix.  You'll get better heat transfer with 75% water.

Buy some Spectro or Maxima coolant unless the bike had engine ice.

You can usually tell what brand coolant it had previously from it's color.

If you mix regular coolant and Engine Ice, it'll gel up and clog everything, most likely seizing the bike.

how do I tell if it had engine ice previously?

You don't, if you're not exactly sure what you're looking for.

Best thing to do is flush the whole system with water. Just pull the drain plug and flush with a hose with light water pressure. Or if you want to be very thorough, pull the rads and flush individually with a hose.

Agreed. Always good to flush when changing the coolant since you never know what the previous owner had in there. Also if there's any sludge or gunk in there it will be flushed out and you'll be starting off with a fresh system. BTW, pending any major internal issues, Engine Ice looks like windex.

The bottom of your water pump should have a drain screw. Take out the drain plug and remove the radiator cap.  I like to refill the radiator with half distilled water and half vinegar to clean the system out.  Run the bike and warm it up with the mixture, drain the mixture and refill with your choice of radiator fluid.

And be aware that itll piss straight out about a foot and a half. Be ready with a bucket!