Sign in to follow this  

'97 XR400R kickstart doesn't always return

Hello fellow x400r riders!  I've had this'97 xr4 for a few months now and I am enjoying it very much.   One issue that I wanted some expert opinion is the kickstarter.   The bike starts fine but every once in a while the kickstarter will not return to its normal position on its own.  When that happens I help it up and it returns fine.   I checked the manual and there is no troubleshooting help for this problem, but I assume it has something to do with the return spring? But it doesn't happen all the time, which tells me that the spring is not broken.  Any other ideas as to what I should be looking for before I remove the kickstarter assembly?

xr_400r.gif

I had this issue intermittently on my XR250R when it was warm (likely due to the expansion of the metal components with heat). It first started after I replaced the knuckle and shaft due to snapping. The cause was the knuckle catching on the footpeg. A bit of material off with the angle grinder and it hasn't reoccured. Likely a different cause to yours, as mine was easy to identify as I could see where it was catching. But thought it worth a mention for you to check.

In your case I would be tempted to pull it apart, check for any damage or obvious signs of the cause, if nothing found clean and reassemble and see if anything changes.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and you're right, my issue seems to be different.   I will probably need to take it apart before I can really tell what's going on and order replacement parts....

I had this issue intermittently on my XR250R when it was warm (likely due to the expansion of the metal components with heat). It first started after I replaced the knuckle and shaft due to snapping. The cause was the knuckle catching on the footpeg. A bit of material off with the angle grinder and it hasn't reoccured. Likely a different cause to yours, as mine was easy to identify as I could see where it was catching. But thought it worth a mention for you to check.

In your case I would be tempted to pull it apart, check for any damage or obvious signs of the cause, if nothing found clean and reassemble and see if anything changes.

Can you determine if it hangs up in the same spot in shaft rotation every time?

Well, I will kick it and it'll stay down at the lowest position of the kickstarter, about once every 8-10 times, not everytime.  Once I moved it with my boot, the return spring will bring the kickstarter back to its normal resting position.  So something is keeping it down, but the return sprint does work most of the time.... I may need to take it apart to see if there is anything obvious - may need to post some pics if I don't have a clue.   Thanks!

With the way the right footpet is built, if you have a get off and tweak the peg/frame mount, there's a tab on the footpeg mount that can cause the kickstart lever to hang up. This is the first thing to look at if this just suddenly started happening.

If its not this, then the next time it happens, leave it like that and use a magic market to put a dot on the end of the shaft at 12 oclock. then next time it happens, check to see if the dot is at 12 oclock again.

IMG_1538.jpg

Edited by Trailryder42

With the way the right footpet is built, if you have a get off and tweak the peg/frame mount, there's a tab on the footpeg mount that can cause the kickstart lever to hang up. this the first thing to look at if this just suddenly started happening.

If its not this, then the next time it happens, leave it like that and use a magic market to put a dot on the end of the shaft at 12 oclock. then next time it happens, check to see if the dot is at 12 oclock again.

Thank you! Great suggestion! I need to make sure that there not external obstacles in the travel path of the kickstarter, as a first step.  Interestingly enough, my foot peg has that tab broken off, as you can see in the picture attached.  I don't see anything obvious that may be interfering with the kickstarter return, but I will double check.

kickstarter.jpg

Edited by texxter

I'm wanting to rule out a bent kick starter shaft. If its bent, it will hang up at the same point in the shafts rotation.