Sign in to follow this  

My 2 X's are as ready as they will ever be

My "love affair" with the X began here -- a clean low hour '05 i purchased and immediately put a baja designs dual sport kit on it

Along the way, it picked up a complete Rekluse Core clutch kit, a Yoshimura exhaust and got the jetting cleaned up so it would at least start properly --

Given the fact that this was intended to be my dual sport/ trail scoot  ---- i didnt dink around with the airbox --- i know its restrictive, but shoot -- i have gone 3 rides without having to clean the filter -- and i can never say that about an MX machine !

011_zpsa733dd32.jpg

Along the way, Factory Connection laid some love down on the suspension --- the guys at their central location were able to help me dial in the sag at their shop -- and all is good   ---  The pic below is with the mods , plus a couple of cosmetic enhancements ---

This bike has been raced in both moto and hare scrambles events in this guise, as it was simply the only bike i had that was ready --  :lol:

photo2_zpscde3ab7d.jpg

This brings me to my 2nd X  -- purchased used from another forum member ---- i wanted to keep the dual sport bike mild and build up a nice, fire breathing  electric start Honda track bike out of this one 

Here is how my '07 looked when i brought it home -- actually pretty darn good considering it had 80 hours on it (i have never had a 4 stroke MX bike that long ) 

823_zps5bbc80a4.jpg

----- Just for the sake of being anal, i had Marshall Plumb do up the top end with a new piston and R spec cam --- the bike already had a free flowing MRD exhaust, so the carb was tuned with that in mind  ----  It now seemingly runs like a full tilt boogie MX'er , and is stronger than my previous YZF450 ---    Its still got wide spaced gearing, but has enough power to carry it through the flat spots

As of today, here is the MX/GP machine -- so far i couldnt be happier ---- I am running an Ohlins steering damper, but still have the slack, stock triples on it  -----  

--- I went backwards a bit on the tank and installed the teensy '08 - up stock 1.8 gallon tank for slimmer ergos ,  ---  but i retained the 18" wheel for more versatility in case this thing gets off-road occasionally 

photo1_zpsd2c34506.jpg

I cant say enough about Decal Works and their services --- I told myself long ago i wouldnt fuss with cosmetics until these things were ready to rip ----  well, now was the time 

------   Their custom graphics let me give my side business some love ,  at the same time, i am repping for Rekluse and Concept 2 rowers --  (Concept 2 ties into my side business ,  but I receive absolutely no incentive from Rekluse other than the satisfaction of letting others know whenever i can about some truly trick riding hardware for guys like me --- slow but still trying ) 

-- I retained the headlight housing  in case i wanted to stick the light back in --- but it tells people right off i am riding an X , and not trying to disguise it , even though its tricker than most mx'ers out there  -(due to the magic button - hah) -  plus - it reminded me of the JCR boys hare scrambles setups a bit 

------    Not a lot left to do --- i would like to procure some 22mm clamps for the moto machine -- but so far it hasnt been a pressing need ---- 

-- as well, a 270mm rotor kit and stainless brake line is on the way for the moto machine, --- but the stock brakes work quite well on the dual sport 

There may be a little more cosmetic bling piled on, but as of now, --- the bikes are done 

I cant wait for the first hare scramble of the fall season and i will try to put in as many laps as possible at the MX track in preparation !   

-- fresh cosmetics absolutely do not make me or the bike any faster, -- but they sure make it more of a joy to look at when its on the stand -- LOL

Some sweet carbon fiber doo dads here and there would really bring it home, but shoot --- the minute i do that , Honda will introduce a mid year 2015 model and these will both be obsolete -- but on second thought , if your superstitious at all, send me the whole Lightspeed catalog to trick out this old bike and it may guarantee we get a new X next year !   :thumbsup:

Edited by DMC707
  • Like 3

Now you need a third one just for the street. The X is a blast on the pavement.

Your bikes look good

Now you need a third one just for the street. The X is a blast on the pavement.

Your bikes look good

Thanks !  ---   I gotta admit, i've tried riding the dual sport on the street a bit, and at one point even had a set of supermoto wheels for it, -- but it wasn't for me  -- I got tired of swapping out gearing constantly anytime i wanted to do it in the dirt (stock 13-51 gearing works well here off road, and 14-51 is about the tallest i can use --- but the street needs at least a 14-48 or taller to get a decent top end it seems )

---  The flip side is, is i have  so much cash tied up in these 2 rigs, i cant afford to sell them -(used X's of this vintage seem to get between $2500 and 3500 around here no matter how they're built)  -- so if and when Honda does make an updated X, or an electric start MX'er,  -- i may gear the DS up for street riding and leave it there for errands around town ------   after going through the trouble of tagging it, i'll likely keep it indefinitely

I think they look great. Good job on all your hard work. Wives will always question our hobbies and spending habits but I just smile and give a boyish grin, then smirk that it is way less than the amount you (Her) spend on amazon.com on those "can not pass up great deals".    

PLUS- Our bikes look way better than the goofy scarfs and junk that comes in mail.

Edited by Winters

Geez, they both look sweet. I'm in a similar boat as you. I spent so much on my X, I'd never get the money out of it. I'm used to that though. I just sold my Aprilia RSVR Factory that originally was almost $20K - I got $5.5K

RZ Rob

Geez, they both look sweet. I'm in a similar boat as you. I spent so much on my X, I'd never get the money out of it. I'm used to that though. I just sold my Aprilia RSVR Factory that originally was almost $20K - I got $5.5K

RZ Rob

Ouch --- i used to ride Harleys , so i know all about taking a big depreciation hit on the street bikes ---

Since i posted those first  couple of pics -- i went OCD and had to make my "dual sport" match my race machine   ---- 

Amazingly enough, my normally laissez faire wife  came into the garage and asked me one day if i was just gonna bawl all over the bikes, or ride 'em now?     ---

-- point taken -- i had been in a slump and was a little depressed about some nagging and recurring injuries    ---- i almost didnt feel like riding even on great days

Well, she's blunt , but she knows what i need -------  I've logged more riding time in the past 2 weeks than the past 4 months combined!     I still come home with knees that feel like they are held together with fishing line , and a numb throttle hand, but i'm having fun again  :ride:      I think she just saw my recent credit card transactions to decal works, BTO, and Rocky Mountain and figured i'd better get my money's worth  :lol:

I am well past time to get some real bash guards for the handlebars though --- last outing i tried going through some narrow trees -- scraped the throttle side hard which caused it to go WFO and promptly looped out because i was in 1st gear  :facepalm:    

IMG_2804_zpscacd64c0.jpg

IMG_2809_zps6c9dfc77.jpg

Edited by DMC707
  • Like 1

I want another 450x I bought a new 06 and had it till 09 and sold it and got another 450r but I definitely miss it for trail riding! I have a dual sport xr600 but id like another 450x for serious offroad riding