Sign in to follow this  

2006 vs 2014+

Whats up yall!

I am at a crossroads and i need help. maybe you guys can help me out.

I have an 06 250f that is in great shape. I got the bike for free and i really like it. Im a pretty fast rider fast novice/ slow intermediate in so cal.

here is my dilemma!

I just had a baby boy two weeks ago AND got a big promotion at work. ALSO, i ride mx mostly by myself and dont have a large group of friends that ride. I am seriously considering hanging up the 2006 and selling it, riding my dual sport for kicks for a couple years and when i have more free time buying a new or new(er) used bike when i have more free time.

The issue is this, i got the 2006 for free, and regardless of how time constrained i am currently i know i will get out at least 2-3 times a year. also the bike is pretty fresh. i just did a 2008 piston job on it and shimmed the valves and new cam chain. bottom end looked great. suspension is excellent and valved really nice for me.  HOWEVER.

I do have a dual sport and have a good time riding that on the trails, ya its not mx, but its fun! 

so, are the newer bike so much better that ill upgrade significantly when i get back into the sport in a few years? or is someone my speed not going to notice that big of a difference from an 06 to a 14 for example?

any and all advice is apreciated!

thanks guys!

Whats up yall!

I am at a crossroads and i need help. maybe you guys can help me out.

I have an 06 250f that is in great shape. I got the bike for free and i really like it. Im a pretty fast rider fast novice/ slow intermediate in so cal.

here is my dilemma!

I just had a baby boy two weeks ago AND got a big promotion at work. ALSO, i ride mx mostly by myself and dont have a large group of friends that ride. I am seriously considering hanging up the 2006 and selling it, riding my dual sport for kicks for a couple years and when i have more free time buying a new or new(er) used bike when i have more free time.

The issue is this, i got the 2006 for free, and regardless of how time constrained i am currently i know i will get out at least 2-3 times a year. also the bike is pretty fresh. i just did a 2008 piston job on it and shimmed the valves and new cam chain. bottom end looked great. suspension is excellent and valved really nice for me. HOWEVER.

I do have a dual sport and have a good time riding that on the trails, ya its not mx, but its fun!

so, are the newer bike so much better that ill upgrade significantly when i get back into the sport in a few years? or is someone my speed not going to notice that big of a difference from an 06 to a 14 for example?

any and all advice is apreciated!

thanks guys!

Yes I had a 2013 and they almost changed everything. from the frame up.

Night and day difference. on my 14.

Yes and no. Just comparing the bikes straight up, of course the 14 is much improved over the 06. That being said, you could put money into the 06 and get it up to par with a 14.The 06 already has pretty much the same suspension. The motor has a ridiculous aftermarket support, so you could get that engine up to speed with the current bikes, considering it isn't much different from the '13. As I mentioned in a different thread, I still see plenty of guys on the 06-09 bikes, ripping around. I am friends with a local pro who now only rides/races here and there for fun, he still uses his 08 race bike and he is at no real disadvantage to guys on brand new bikes. That being said, you can never go wrong with a fresh, new '14 if you have the money. But if it is worth it is only up to you.

Yes and no. Just comparing the bikes straight up, of course the 14 is much improved over the 06. That being said, you could put money into the 06 and get it up to par with a 14.The 06 already has pretty much the same suspension. The motor has a ridiculous aftermarket support, so you could get that engine up to speed with the current bikes, considering it isn't much different from the '13. As I mentioned in a different thread, I still see plenty of guys on the 06-09 bikes, ripping around. I am friends with a local pro who now only rides/races here and there for fun, he still uses his 08 race bike and he is at no real disadvantage to guys on brand new bikes. That being said, you can never go wrong with a fresh, new '14 if you have the money. But if it is worth it is only up to you.

Gonna have to disagree with the 14 being the same handling wise. The 14 handles way different than my 12 did. Think about it. All the mass is in the center. It has no weight in the front which takes some getting used to but is ridiculously light in the air. Don't get me wrong my 12 was a great bike but you can't compare the two. Now as far as an 06-13, you can pretty much get to handle/perform the same. My buddies 09 was uncanningly similar to my 12 even with the new frame. But a 14 is very different from a previous gen and I'm sure all the 14 owners will say the same.

• Like 1

I didn't say it handled or felt the same. I've spent time on my friend's 14 and am very familiar with how they feel. I realize they are completely different but I was just making a point that since he got the 06 for basically nothing, he could put some money into it and make it a bike that can still be competitive with the newer bikes, especially given the price of a new bike. Just another option, as i said getting the new bike you can't go wrong either.

I didn't say it handled or felt the same. I've spent time on my friend's 14 and am very familiar with how they feel. I realize they are completely different but I was just making a point that since he got the 06 for basically nothing, he could put some money into it and make it a bike that can still be competitive with the newer bikes, especially given the price of a new bike. Just another option, as i said getting the new bike you can't go wrong either.

While I realize this is a 250 thread I strongly disagree aha I had the 13 450 and have a 14 450 it's more of a difference than switching bikes with someone.

As post above it takes time to get used to the whole central mass thing way different it's no comparison to a 13 let alone an 06 and I will soon be able to talk 250 when I get out of this cast.

With your personal situation being as it is and being a 41 year old who raised one child already and has an 8 year old step son I will say this. The 06 is a great bike. Thats the year they switched to the SSS suspension and it is probably the best suspension out there. I bought a 2014 YZF and love it. Yes its better than the 06. Its got 8 years of R&D on the 06 BUT I would say keep the great bike you have (thats paid for) and save your money. Your gonna need it as that kid grows up. JMHO.

What am I missing here? I am not saying you can make an 06 or a 13 feel like a 14 (as far as the way the new motor revs so free compared to the slower revving 5-valve or the different feel of the new chassis w/ backwards motor etc etc). It is a totally different bike, I've ridden them a few times, as I said. What I am saying is that for the average guy who gets out a few times a year, as the OP said, I think there is plenty that can be done to his 06 to upgrade it to run with a '14. The previous bikes are not obsolete, especially for someone on a budget or who does not get out to ride often. Like I said, my friend still rides his modded 08 in local A-class and beats new bikes. Getting a new bike every year isn't what makes you fast. I would never advise against getting a new bike, but the OP just asked if 06 can still run with new bikes, considering his situation. To that, I say yes it can, that is all. 

• Like 2

To ride a few times a year it doesn't matter yours is a 06 just have fun

• Like 3

I want to be 100% clear I'm not knocking the op with the 06 I'm just saying handling wise you can't replicate the way the bike feels you can make anything fast it's just from 13-14 the ergos are way way different for some good for some like me have to change my style of riding. Edited by cas747

I want to be 100% clear I'm not knocking the op with the 06 I'm just saying handling wise you can't replicate the way the bike feels you can make anything fast it's just from 13-14 the ergos are way way different for some good for some like me have to change my style of riding.

Oh ya, I agree with you 100%. Me and you have conversed in a few threads about this. The whole set-up of the 14 is so different, that it does have a whole different feel compared to the YZFs before it. But that being said, it is not perfect, in my opinion. So ya it is different but not worlds better. It is a better starting point (mostly due to the engine more than anything else) and I would recommend a new YZF all day long. But looking at the OP situation, I am taking it like he is wondering if the 06 is so far left in the dust by the new bikes. I would say for what he does then it is not worth going for a 14 unless money is no object. Plenty can be done to the 06-09 bikes to get the job done.

If your riding 3 times a year why try to get the 06 better , it's a decent bike and just have fun

• Like 2

If I was in Dirtymutt9's shoes in terms of family, job, riding ability, group of riding buds (or lack of) and wrote how much fun the dualsport was I'd keep the 06 and focus on Needs vs Wants. Seems right now the needs are for the family, kicking butt at work and relaxing on the dualsport while taking a year or two to re-evaluate. It's not like a 2014 is going to change 90% of his riding needs or wants.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for all the insight guys! I'm going to keep the 06 and keep working on the family and kicking butt at work.

I don't think my skill level is going to necessitate a more modern bike for quite some time.

Thanks again!

• Like 5

Thanks so much for all the insight guys! I'm going to keep the 06 and keep working on the family and kicking butt at work.

I don't think my skill level is going to necessitate a more modern bike for quite some time.

Thanks again!

That's a good decision you are making the proper decision for you and family good luck friend.
  • Like 1

Thanks again!

That's a wise decision. We ride to find enjoyment, get some exercise and enhance our lives, not detract from the most important parts, right? For most of us, a 10 year old bike will not hold us back in any way. I love dirt bikes, but it will never take precedent over family, career, education etc. I could afford a brand new bike, I'm just cheap. I want to retire early... that means more in the IRA, more rental properties, more saved in kids college funds = I ride an older bike! To those past this point who buy new, well I'm "slightly" Jealous :) 

Enjoy that 06! 

• Like 2

That's a wise decision. We ride to find enjoyment, get some exercise and enhance our lives, not detract from the most important parts, right? For most of us, a 10 year old bike will not hold us back in any way. I love dirt bikes, but it will never take precedent over family, career, education etc. I could afford a brand new bike, I'm just cheap. I want to retire early... that means more in the IRA, more rental properties, more saved in kids college funds = I ride an older bike! To those past this point who buy new, well I'm "slightly" Jealous :)

Enjoy that 06! 

Stop talking like like that.   You make me want to act responsibly... :cry:

• Like 1

keeping the 06. going to send off the suspension and have it freshened up for the next time i get to go riding! hopefully ill get to sneak out 1-2x this fall when it rains :)

keeping the 06. going to send off the suspension and have it freshened up for the next time i get to go riding! hopefully ill get to sneak out 1-2x this fall when it rains :)

Thats a great decision.