Sign in to follow this  

Buying a new chevy silverado and need help

I have a 2002 chevy silverado that I just sold, looking to get a new 2014 silverado in the short bed, but I am not sure how my cr250 will fit. Typically on my old chevy silverado I have a ext cab with a regular bed. I would put the bike in on the left and pull the rear over to close the tail gate. Can this still be done with the short bed or will it be to short to close with the bike in it. I searched the web for pics of silverados with dirtbike in it but came up with nothing. Really would like to have the tailgate close since I always have my gear bag. Any one have experience

May need to be more specific. A regular bed to me is 8'. There are also two size short beds now - 5.5' and 6' depending on truck model. On a side note, I would personally think about switching brands. I have a 2010 GMC Sierra and 2013 Silverado and both are not the GM trucks of the past. We have constant electrical issues.

• Like 1

Yes it the short bed at 5' not the standard bed at 6'

Is the short bed really only 5', or is it 5.5'?  

A full-size bike will fit in a 5.5' bed, not a 5' bed.

Edit:  Finally found the info 

The short box is: 69.33" or 5.77'

The regular box is: 78.87" or 6.57'

So, a bike will fit in the short box with tailgate closed.

Edited by Darvo

I would personally think about switching brands. I have a 2010 GMC Sierra and 2013 Silverado and both are not the GM trucks of the past. We have constant electrical issues.

I kind of thought the title of the thread explained things perfectly: Buying a new chevy and need help!

And agree, anyone who things Chevy has done anything except gotten worse over the past decade does need help.  I'd buy a Dodge before a GM product now, and that's saying a lot.

We have constant electrical issues.

Yup. I had a ton of problems with my 08. 

I have always been a Chevy guy prior to the last couple of years. I have owned many chev trucks (84, 94, 01, 05, 08) and the new ones are not good trucks. My father has also had problems with his 2011 LTZ and switched over to Ford. There are too many recalls and problems with the new ones, they're simply not good trucks. Everything that could have broke on my 08 broke, it had low mileage and was good on fuel but that was all it was good for. Not to mention even an lt or ltz trim truck isn't anything even compared to a stock ford or dodge inside.

Oh yeah, the tall but narrow square wheel wells also look dumb IMO. 

Shop around for other trucks too, you might be happily surprised. I went with Ford but I am a huge fan of Toyota's as well. I just got a good out of the door price from Ford and ended up buying an f350 anyways. 

Edited by leafsrule16

i actually edited my  original post to remove my GM opinion

but since the thread went that way even more

I am a die hard GM guy  but I drive an F250  because my GMC 2500 couldn't cut it and the stupid  ground issues

the F250 has been all that   but I still am not a ford guy  just a F series  guy  LOL

I still have 2  GM's and a small block Mercruiser   just no love for the IFS GM built like a rock HD truck

Edited by Zimman

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1055525-is-my-bike-really-65ft-in-overall-length/

Just got home...   2010 GMC crew cab has a bed that is 67" long.  92" corner to corner.  Hope this helps.  On this model, they are not counting the lip at the front of the bed that sticks out right where your tire will hit and reduces that length a bit.  Also, a 'whale tail' on the tailgate takes away a hair as well.  The measurement I posted takes this into consideration.

Edited by WesternMDMtnMan

You can fit a bike in from corner to corner with the crew cab 5'8" bed. Even with the 6'6" bed you have to have them angled. Question though, why don't you get the crew cab with the standard bed?  

If you have any questions about the 14's feel free to ask, as I sold them and have owned one for over a year now.

20131112_164355_zpsfxcftdu2.jpg

• Like 1

Screw Chevy, buy a Toyota. My dad's GMC is about to fall apart at around 265K while my friends truck has over 300K and its running fine. I have the same truck as him, just a year older because he wanted to buy the same truck I had for some reason, but mine has 178K.

For every guy on here telling you how bad GMs are and to go somewhere else there are at least 20 others not being keyboard hero's that love their GMs and have had no problems.

Yes a single bike will fit in the shorter short bed found on new crew cabs which is 5.5 feet long with the tail gate up if you kick the rear wheel to the side.

Just like with anything longevity has a lot to do with maintenance and Toyotas suck.

• Like 1

I still wondering how many more measurements we will get on a 5.5ft bed. ;)

I bet there are a few more

For every guy on here telling you how bad GMs are and to go somewhere else there are at least 20 others not being keyboard hero's that love their GMs and have had no problems.

Yes a single bike will fit in the shorter short bed found on new crew cabs which is 5.5 feet long with the tail gate up if you kick the rear wheel to the side.

Just like with anything longevity has a lot to do with maintenance and Toyotas suck.

Toyota's suck? Lmao that's the joke of the week. That's why Toyota, Mazda, and Nissan tend to outlast every other vehicle on the road, correct?

I don't have a Toyota but is your statement fact or opinion? Elaborate?

My statement is that it's a fact that my opinion is that Toyotas suck...

And I think that most manufacturers make a pretty good product and if you take care of them you can expect a pretty long life regardless of who it is made for.

So that is in fact my opinion.

Toyota's suck? Lmao that's the joke of the week. That's why Toyota, Mazda, and Nissan tend to outlast every other vehicle on the road, correct?

Well I wasn't referring to Nissans which I don't really care for either or Mazdas which are fords with different badges but ya I guess so because they "outlast" every other vehicle on the road...

My main problem with Toyotas are the people that have such hard ons for them are adamant that they are the best ever and everything else is just garbage and want to shove it in everybody face that Toyotas are the best ever period end of story and their shit don't stink.

Which is why it is so fun and so easy to provoke people like you. Haha and yea Toyotas still suck.

• Like 1