Sign in to follow this  

Applied Kinesiology ... Real or phoney diagnosis and treatment?

Alright guys so here is the deal.

I have a pain in my back that I believe is muscle related and not of the spine. So, in my mind a simple adjustment from a regular chiropractor would not be sufficient enough. I found a Chiropractor in my area that specializes in what is called "Applied Kinesiology." At first I was buying into this idea that this science is legit and I could really benefit from it.

Applied Kinesiology (AK) in short is as follows: a technique used to diagnose illness or choose treatment by testing muscles for strength and weakness. For more information please check out http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/manualhealingandphysicaltouch/applied-kinesiology

I have seen this specialized doctor two times now and ran up an out-of-pocket bill of around $260 so far. The first time was simple muscle testing and he wrote down his findings from various sorts of muscle tests, of which I knew beforehand would run me $130 to be seen and given these muscle tests. On my second visit, I was told it would only be a mere $30 for an adjustment (as what I have become accustomed to by my previous chiropractor) so I was fine with this. However, upon being seen by the doctor he wanted to run some more muscle testing as well as the adjustment. This wound up costing another $130 out of pocket. His recommendation was to see me 2x a week for 3 weeks and I should be fine. This sounds like the same old story I received from a regular traditional chiro.

So, I went in today to pay off my balance and completely cancelled all my scheduled appointments. Reason being it's too expensive and besides not being able to pay for all of that in almost 1 month, now I have 0 faith in it. So, the doctor learns that I cancelled all the appts and personally calls me this evening. He said that he was not aware that my insurance did not cover the diagnosis tests and that in these cases he normally would bill un-insure people less. So since I was charged the regular amount he'd bill to the insurance agencies that I over paid and he would see me for free the next time. I felt rather obliged and that I would be stupid to not go for another adjustment for FREE. I do think it will be the absolute last time though. I felt no difference whatsoever after the minor adjustment he gave to me on my second visit.

Personally, I'm thinking of just going back to my old chiro and see if I can get a good adjustment there. I liked it there before and felt a noticeable difference my second time there. In short, I just want to know/see if anyone on here has personal experience with AK and if it is a real and very worth while practice that I should spend the money or if it is just phoney BS and to stop while I'm ahead.

Sorry if this post lacks order / wording.... it is 3:30AM and I'm tired to say the least!

Any input/help is much appreciated guys. Have a good night!

AK requires a lot of belief in the system and the way it is practiced.  Additionally, without the proper supplements that go along with most AK related treatment, you are not getting the full affect.  AK does have scenarios which it is very beneficial, however in your case it sounds like it is not needed.  I would head back to your regular chiro, get some electrical muscle stimulation and ultrasound therapy along with a good adjustment and things should head in the right direction for you.  Checking to see if you chiro offers medical based massages could be beneficial as well and insurance often times pays for them.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Update today.

I went back today for my free session. Well, he cracked a rib which felt nice, but that was about all. I believe in feeling better after seeing a chiro, not just having him make 1 little crack. I did not receive any electro therapy today as that normally costs extra (which I'm pretty sure my old chiropractor never charged more/separate for that). He told me that if I wanted to come back it would be $55 a session and an extra $15 if I were to have electro therapy after.

Needless to say I will not be returning. I wish I could get back the money I have already wasted on this witch scam. Perhaps it is a legit thing, just as openex3 talked about if you do everything not just the alignments. I don't know. Maybe I am not old enough and not that bad out of shape/whack. Who knows. Either way I think at this point it's all bogus and "quackery" lol.

I plan on utilizing a free half an hour massage certificate I have soon and then making a trip back to the old chiropractor where it should be only $30 for a good adjustment and electro therapy. :thumbsup:

I went to a chiro that works with a massage clinic. I wasn't a believer in massage but went along with it. They worked together to come up with a plan for me and, well, I feel it worked. I was skeptical about a massage after knee surgery but realized my gait changed and that made my leg tighten up. A good painful deep tissue massage can free up a lot that I don't think I could do myself. It made the adjustments go a little better too. 

I went to a chiro that works with a massage clinic. I wasn't a believer in massage but went along with it. They worked together to come up with a plan for me and, well, I feel it worked. I was skeptical about a massage after knee surgery but realized my gait changed and that made my leg tighten up. A good painful deep tissue massage can free up a lot that I don't think I could do myself. It made the adjustments go a little better too.

To me this makes sense. So that's how I am going to approach it. Get a nice deep tissue massage to work out any knots etc and then go in for a back adjustment.

I don't know about AK, but I had tremendous results from deep tissue massage on a frozen shoulder. It hurts bad enough to tear up, but you wouldn't believe how well you move afterward. I paid out of pocket too since insurance didn't cover ( for like 2x per week for 8 weeks), and it was the best money i ever spent. Found a therapist with the strongest hands on the planet. It really works.