Sign in to follow this  

14' DRZ400SM

Hey,

First post on here and i was hoping it was going to be a positive one.

I picked up a brand new DRZ-SM last week and I've been noticing a noise from the right side bottom end. I ignored it for a little while but it's getting to me now especially after doing a little research on here. I just hit about 300 miles. I've been riding it a lot but I've also been pretty easy on it. Haven't bounced off the rev limiter or topped it out yet. Basically short shifting it and cruising around town.

Noise is really noticeable at idle. Here's a link to a video I put up.

What do you guys think? Loctite to late? Skeptical about just dropping it off at the dealer because I yanked off the charcoal canister and drilled some pilot holes in the airbox preparing for the 3x3 mod. Don't want to hear there crap even though it's not related to the internals of the engine. Thanks in advance.

The ticking from the top is the auto decompressor. Normal. 

The 'hollow' metallic clanking sound I've had on my bike also. I've taken the top end apart and everything looked good and is in spec. 

Get a stethoscope with a trumpet end and see if you can localize it. I thought my clanking was from the bottom end, but with a stethoscope it sounded like it came from the cylinder. 

The video is pretty much spot on. Surprising for it being just an iPhone video. This is a noise I can't live with. Might have a DRZ bonfire soon.

The video is pretty much spot on. Surprising for it being just an iPhone video. This is a noise I can't live with. Might have a DRZ bonfire soon.

Did you look at my video? http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1095973-right-side-engine-pingingringing-wvideo/#entry11760411

I'm starting mine up again tomorrow, so I'll see if the sound is still there. If it is I'll just ride with it.

It smooths out a little. But it's not the idle still noticeable when riding.

It smooths out a little. But it's not the idle still noticeable when riding.

So what are the typical things I should have the dealership check while they have it?

They will probably do nothing .....maybe tell you to keep a watchful ear on it and to get back to them if it gets worse....

The main deal with taking it back ASAP is so that the noise can be documented as being a possible issue .....

Hope they don't come up with nothing and try an toss me a bill for looking.

you know most riders call it a 'stealership' for a reason, right ? 

things you may be hearing:

1 timing chain slap - likely

2 autodecomp slop (rotating on the cam shaft when it should be solid) - autodecomp does NOT make noise when the bike is running, and is NOT normal to do so.  likely, but only after several thousand miles of use. 

3 loose valve, which is highly unlikely on a drz. - unlikely

mid

1 con rod slop - unlikely 

2 big end slop - unlikely

3 slapping the case - very highly unlikely

bottoms

1 clutch - possible, 50/50 

2 loose nuts/bolts/dognuts in the bottom end - likely (it's a suzuki) see the loctite fixes/faq

3 loose springs in bottom end assemblies (clutch too) - likely, see above

actually it doesn't sound bad from the video. give it another 30-40,000 miles before you really start to worry. 

• Like 1

Well compared to other bikes I've heard, I'm concerned. No reason i should have to ride around a jar of marbles.

That description sounds like a timing chain / ACCT issue. It's very common, very curable, and a known issue for all years of drz. Have you seen the FAQ section yet ?  

Yes. I have a MCCT on order and I'm going to do the loctite fixes on the right side and see if it clears up. I watched a video last night of someone's drz making exactly the same noise and he shredded his conrod bearing. Video also showed the engine apart and the obvious play in the rod.

Any advice for summer oil weight as well?

Yes. I have a MCCT on order and I'm going to do the loctite fixes on the right side and see if it clears up. I watched a video last night of someone's drz making exactly the same noise and he shredded his conrod bearing. Video also showed the engine apart and the obvious play in the rod.

Any advice for summer oil weight as well?

Could you post that video? The rod has _quite_ a bit of play before it's out of spec.