Sign in to follow this  

Any advice on this 06 yz250?

Hi all, i've been shopping for a bike and came across this bike on craigslist from a dealer. It's a yz250 motor stuffed in a yz450f frame. I never paid much attention to the 450's and their progression in the chassis department as i never had any interest in them, so now i am curious if this bike sounds like it would be balanced with a 2 stroke motor in it? is this a common swap? I had a 06 yz250 before and didn't see a need to switch to a different aluminum frame. my guess is it's an older engine swapped into the newer frame. Any suggestions. Thanks would be great

http://marshall.craigslist.org/mcd/4530394419.html

I dont think i would want to risk it. The yzf 450 has always been known to have a vague front end with some odd handling traits. This was before they turned the motor around as well. So it would seem to me that with the much lighter 2stroke motor in there the front end would be even more vague. But who knows it could be what it needed. But either way i wouldnt want to be the one to try it out for 2 grand.

• Like 1

I dont think i would want to risk it. The yzf 450 has always been known to have a vague front end with some odd handling traits. This was before they turned the motor around as well. So it would seem to me that with the much lighter 2stroke motor in there the front end would be even more vague. But who knows it could be what it needed. But either way i wouldnt want to be the one to try it out for 2 grand.

Thanks, as i stated, i never paid attention to the 450 and never knew about the handling woes that you described. Thank you thank you.

Is it actually swapped though or are they just saying that the yz250 frame is very similar to a 450 in terms of suspension and everything?

I wouldn't buy a frankenbike unless I knew who built it and where it was done (IE: Service Honda). If it's just a regular 250 2t though it's worth looking at. 

• Like 1

It is a yzf frame. But they dont say what year. Unless it is an 06 frame with an older yz 250 motor. It is more than likely someone who blew up their four stroke motor and found it was cheaper to fit an older yz 250 motor in it than fix it. Either way 2000 will buy a much nicer bike.

It is a yzf frame. But they dont say what year. Unless it is an 06 frame with an older yz 250 motor. It is more than likely someone who blew up their four stroke motor and found it was cheaper to fit an older yz 250 motor in it than fix it. Either way 2000 will buy a much nicer bike

Agreed! Thats to both posts. I have been looking and i found this real 06 yz250 http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/mcy/4571758645.html  there is a 05 here too http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/4579827026.html that i might look at this weekend. Also a guy has an 09 250sx for $3200 but if i read right (on the internet) that the yz was a better bike till around 11and 2012. Correct me if i am wrong. I think i will stay clear of the frankenbike unless a cr500af :)

any suggestions on those bikes? i forgot to ask

The 05 looks better. If it really has factory connection revalve it will be very comparable to the 06 sss suspension. From what i can tell the front brake line is zip tied at the number plate on the 06??? Would really make me question the rest of his maintenance schedules.

If both were maintained the same and 100% stock i would say the 06 over the 05 because of the better suspension of the 06. But i would not take a poorly maintained 06 over a good condition 05. I owned the 05 yz before and rode my freinds 07 and i could not tell a big enough difference in the newer suspension to justify getting rid of mine to get a newer one.

The 05 looks better. If it really has factory connection revalve it will be very comparable to the 06 sss suspension. From what i can tell the front brake line is zip tied at the number plate on the 06??? Would really make me question the rest of his maintenance schedules.

If both were maintained the same and 100% stock i would say the 06 over the 05 because of the better suspension of the 06. But i would not take a poorly maintained 06 over a good condition 05. I owned the 05 yz before and rode my freinds 07 and i could not tell a big enough difference in the newer suspension to justify getting rid of mine to get a newer one.

Thanks so much. I owned an 06 and was going to stay away from the 05 because of the suspension, but if you didn't feel that big of a difference, i can most likely get by just fine with the 05 being a slow b rider. Has anybody heard of kb5? Iv'e been out of the mx scene for a bit and i wonder if they have good stuff. Says its setup for a 190# guy, i'm about 175 so that is a slight concern as it may be set for woods and be to soft for mx. I'll have to call and ask each owner about those things Thanks for picking out the zip tie, if that's what it is. I get anxious looking at bikes and overlook things like that lol kind of do the same thing with woman, i don't mean to offend anybody but if you knew me, you would understand what i mean

Edited by duner929

Like i said though given two equal condition yz 250s i would certainly take the sss suspension over the 05s aoss i used mine mainly off road and did some of my own revalving to the forks. But when i rode some mx tracks while it was stock i thought it was great. It took some playing with the clickers and sag but once set up i was loving it. If i remember right i think kawasakis used this same similar fork right up untill the sff fork and air fork on the 450. So it is a very good fork. No not as good as the sss but i think you would have to be a lot better rider than me to notice.

• Like 1