Sign in to follow this  

Wristwatch for riding

I've been thinking that this would be pretty handy, especially for harescrambles and enduros. What i would find interesting from this would be the following:

1. GPS tracking to create a map
  2. Altitude
  3. heart rate
  4. Auto lap function
  5. Speed
  6. Distance

I'm thinking the new TomTom multi-sport watch could work. Has anyone used a watch to tracking enduro or harescramble type racing? Or even just tracking general riding. 

I use a watch but it's just so I can keep up with my time on enduros and how much time I have left in hare scrambles I also use it when I practice keep track of my lap times see if I can beat my self but what you are talking sounds interesting

What you want is a Garmin GPS watch!

Sat tracking, it will show you a map of where you went along your ride once the data is uploaded to their garminconnect site, the software is free.

Product works pretty well, i've trained with one for a number of years now.

My 405 is a few years old now but gets the job done

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-GPS-Enabled-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0011UNMIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408457879&sr=8-1&keywords=forerunner+405

In this vid I use it as a speedometer for my XCF

here's a sample of the data from the site once its uploaded

connectmap_zpsa086e2ef.jpg

Ride more, get bogged down with details less. Concentrate on becoming a better rider and forget the bull crap that gets in the way. What I see is a person that wants to analyze things to death and forgets the the thing that makes you go faster is..... YOU!

• Like 1

I'm using Sports Tracker with Sports Tracker Bluetooth HRM for this. Shows everything you need and is first app that regognize motorsport as a fitness sport.

I use a Garmin, same as Arctic Pride suggested. --- mine is a model geared towards cyclists, so i have a bar mount for it -- But they also have "running watches" that give you all the info you want and more too --- Polar makes handlebar mounts for watches, or you can strap it around a bar pad or something

Ride more, get bogged down with details less. Concentrate on becoming a better rider and forget the bull crap that gets in the way. What I see is a person that wants to analyze things to death and forgets the the thing that makes you go faster is..... YOU!

I'm not worried about going much faster : ). I can keep up with the local fast guys when i want, but I'm out there to have fun and make it to work Monday as well ... I'm a data engineer and avionics troubleshooter by trade so i love to look at data and analyze it for fun. 

For instance, this past Sunday i had a good race going until i got to a tricky point and my go to line was filled by a fallen rider and ... well... i chose un-wisely and was up to my waist in mud (and probably cow poo) for about 10minutes.

Before: http://www.photobyjohn.com/images/2014/20140817/13/images/page6.html

After: http://www.photobyjohn.com/images/2014/20140817/14/images/page62.html (not having too much fun anymore) 

In short, i'd be curious to know my heart rate during that crash and how it was affected after. Someone very detailed and data oriented like myself enjoys this and likes to trend it : )

I'm also looking at the Garmin G220. Looks like a solid watch as well. I like the TomTom one because it doesnt require a chest strap for the heart rate monitoring. 

I currently wear a watch while riding for a timer. My bike also has a decent enduro computer, but i find myself wiping that off much more often than my watch to see what's going on. 

I hate the chest strap as well but its still the standard for accuracy, i find wearing a compression layer over it helps

Then that is fine. What I usually see on discussion boards is 'what will make my bike faster' and the answer is.... You! But I get what you want to do and of course that is fine. Good luck finding something that works well.

I just came back from riding in Colorado with a bunch of dirt bikes all hopped up. I passed most of them on a trail with my..... 990 Adventure :)

Edited by DR.billZ

In short, i'd be curious to know my heart rate during that crash and how it was affected after. Someone very detailed and data oriented like myself enjoys this and likes to trend it : )

I dropped my bike in a mudhole -- had been riding tempo at about 135 bpm,  ---  picking a mud loaded 450X out of the hole spiked it to 175 in short order   ---  LOL  -- and people say riding dirt bike's is not a workout 

Off road in tight stuff, i usually hold about 130-140 bpm , but riding MX , its between 150-160 in practice, and 160-170 at race pace

• Like 1