Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel axle stuck

YZ125 2002

I wanted to inspect and service my front wheel bearings since i was hearing a strange noise down there, so i decided to remove the front wheel. Sounds easy....

For some reason my axle is not moving out, some gentle tapping get it out up to a point where it's not moving anymore and starts putting preassure on the forks.

Maybe some of you guys have a tip on how to solve this.

I think one solution would be removing the steering, triple clamps, and the forks...
Or maybe i just need to tap harder.

I would appreciate some ideas on this (easy) task gone bad.

Edited by rottenio

Some kind of light oil to lubricate and you should be able to find an old spark plug which could turn in an helpfull tool to turn and make that axle move .

Another good way is to find a bolt that fits inside of it and add a couple of nuts on it so you can turn it with a wrench 

Yep, i did loose the pinch bolts. The axle rotates freely. I'll try some oil and rotate/tap a bit more.

The axle looks free but yet it won't come out. I'll get an extra pair of hands to move the wheel while tapping.

If the axle rotates freely then it is seized to the steel bushing between the wheel bearings.

Lots of penetrating oil soaking over night is your best bet. lay the bike on its side and run the oil down the axle.

You could take the right fork leg off if you take the triple clamps off or take the cap and spring out. then you could heat the big end axle shaft with a torch.

Now that I think about it you could remove the right fork leg and then tap the threaded end (gently) with something soft like a big brass punch until the right wheel bearing comes out and then the all the pieces will come apart and you can concentrate on getting the bushing off the axle with heat.  (heat the bushing)

If you heat the axle red hot you will ruin the axle by removing its heat treat and will most likely burn the wheel bearing seals as well.

• Like 1

I think you got it right, the oil seal tended to move out of position when i tapped, that suggested me the bearing (or something) was pushing that out. If there's a bushing in between the bearings (checked diagram, it's 5NY-25117) then that's the only way the bearing and the oil seal were getting out of position. 

Axle Tap->seized Spacer->bearing->oil seal moving out.

(I think i'll get new bearings too)

Thanks!

Lay the bike at least partially on it's side, shoot a good spray of PB Blaster into the open (nut) end of the axle and let it set over night. That stuff works wonders for freeing rusted parts. Be sure and grease the axle when you put it back in there to avoid this happening again. :thumbsup:

Lay the bike at least partially on it's side, shoot a good spray of PB Blaster into the open (nut) end of the axle and let it set over night. That stuff works wonders for freeing rusted parts. Be sure and grease the axle when you put it back in there to avoid this happening again. :thumbsup:

I blame the PO. But hey! i'm slowly getting there!

I blame the PO. But hey! i'm slowly getting there!

Remember to always blame the PO lol