Sign in to follow this  

1990 DR250 won't start, first time 4 stroke owner

A few weeks ago I bought a beat up DR250.  It ran when I got it but leaked fuel from the carb.  After a thorough power washing, I replaced a few minor items in the carb, oring on needle seat, bowl gasket and drain screw.  Set the float level blew out choke and accelerator pump passages.  Installed a 130 main and dropped needle on notch per Jesse at Kientech's advice. Adjusted the valves, the intake was very tight.  Replaced the spark plug.  Now the bike won't start.  The most I have been able to get is firing a few revolutions after putting fuel directly in through the spark plug hole.  I plan to pull the carb again and make sure all passages are clear.  I don't have the correct adapter to check compression but will as soon as it is delivered, but again it ran when I got it and I did successfully start it twice before any work was done.   I have ready multiple accounts of starting procedures none work on this.  Any advice would be much appreciated or it is for sale very cheap.

1. Should I be able to see fuel squirting from the accelerator pump while twisting the throttle? 

2.  I have read many posts about how hard they can be to start, so far I am ready to part the bike out, will it ever be easy to start or am I dreaming?

3.  If I do sell this bike is there any 4 stroke kicker that is easy to start?

Thanks in advance.

FYI I was able to start the bike last night.  After speaking with Jesse Keintz I believe the root of the problem was the idle setting, I did not realize how far the slide was open.  Jesse told me that the slide should only be about 1/16th" open as viewed from the front (outlet) of the carb.  After double checking all of the passages and checking the compression, difficult to get a good read on compression with the kicker.  Accelerator does squirt very well in fact.  It fired on the 3rd or 4th kick and turn over a few times.  I increased the idle slightly and tried a few more times.  After about 8-10 total kicks it fired up and idled for several minutes.  I did not have the throttle cables connected or chain on to ride it.

Edited by newstylecustoms