Sign in to follow this  

Bigger rear tire?

I want to know the pros and cons of putting a 120-90-19 on my bike instead of a 120-80-19. I don't do a lot of racing I use it more for off road purposes and need a new back tire and was curios if anyone else had done this and if there was any problems doing it.

I think it would be fine. Just a bit taller than the "80" and the extra sidewall height will help prevent pinch-flats at lower tire pressures. Plus being a bit higher in the back makes it easier to turn around trees. Tire might weigh a bit more, but for tight woods that never bothers me.

If its a Michelin 120-90-19 it is the same size as a 120-80-19 they just use a different measure method.  Or so I have read.

I know it's a bit old of thread but I just put a 120/90/19 on and i had to extend my chain. I had a 14/49 and it was almost rubbing the swingarm and would catch the mudguard so I had to extend the chain by a link and put a bigger rear sprocket. to get about a fingers thickness between tire and swingarm.

If you do mostly off-road riding, you should look into getting an 18" rear wheel. Then you can run an even meatier tire.