Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400S strong fuel smell?

Hi all,

I have a 2006 DRZ400S with an IMS tank. When I got the bike it was leaking fuel at the petcock and the carb bowl seal was shot and leaking. I have since fixed both of those items but still get a STRONG fuel smell in the garage within 20-30 mins of pulling in. I turn the (Raptor) petcock off in the garage and try to run the fuel out of the bowl before shutting it off. I also have a brand new IMS fuel tank cap with a short vent hose with a ball valve in it.

Where else am I getting fuel fumes from? Any thoughts or experience with something similar? I'm getting tired of the house smelling like gas every time I open the door to the garage.

Thanks!

That is weird and should not be,  i put me DRZ in the garage right after hour long rides,  and never had a fuel smell. 

And i know how bad it is to have fuel smells in the garage,  it sticks around for ever,  we have a 66 mustand that needs lots of work,  leaks gas is one of the things that needs to be fixed. 

And yes,  it does creep into the house,    have you checked the vents that go from the carb to under the bike,  do they leak gas onto the floor?

Thanks for the suggestions. I got out tonight to check those areas.

No leaks at the petcock, although the buna-n gasket material I used is cracking already. There is no fuel around the petcock or the screws. 

The vent hose and the air/fuel screw are also dry and don't seem to be leaking or weeping at all.

I have an IMS tank with the short vent hose and I get a whiff at stop lights once in a while.  Remember that engine heat will cause fuel vapor in that tank (especially 1/2 to 1/4 tank) and the vent hose just prevents vacuum lock.

Just installed aluminum foil insulation in the attic, gonna try that on the underside of the tank.

does it smell stronger when you open up your airbox?

never messed with vent hoses before on fuel tanks, but maybe just try putting on a regular cap, and see if it smells. 

Edited by accuracy