Sign in to follow this  

Model Year help

Was given a bike by a friend who family had in a barn for years.  Seems to be a 1985 XR100R but the VIN plate is missing and I cannot find a VIN stamped in the steering column.  No signs of foul play, just a complete absence of a VIN.  I deal with old Hondas all the time (that's reason they gave this to me) so I know it's usually on the left side of the column but there's nothing there.   The frame was repainted decades ago so I'm removing the paint to look.  No signs of grinding the old VIN off anywhere, if fact the original paint and primer look intact under the cover coat and the metal looks untampered with when I strip down to it. 

Is the VIN on an 1985 XR100R in a different location than I'm expecting?  Hate to strip the whole frame looking for it

The engine number is HE030-5400XXX so I think this means it's a 1985 but not sure.

Any help is appreciated

seems really weird. I can't believe Honda would have forgot to stamp it.

My 1985 XL80S is in the same place as normal on the frame neck.

Yeah seems strange.  Every model Honda I've owned had a pretty deeply stamped VIN.  This show no signs of grinding necessary to grind off these deep VIN's 

But I've been told these were stamped very lightly and the cables can rub the VIN off.  Maybe that's it but...

No title required for off road vehicles in my state but cannot find any info on possession of vehicles w/o a VIN.  Some states make just possession of such a vehicle illegal.

The VIN is stamped on the right side of the steering head. 

HE030-5400XXX is not a valid engine number but

HE03E-5400XXX is a 85 XR100R

VIN should be: JH2HE030*FK400001 and on.  The * is a check digit (0-9) to detect errors in the VIN. 

So it's on the RIGHT side as you sit on the bike?.  It looks like the VIN plate was on the right so I assumed the stamp would be left (like every other Honda I've ever owned.)  I'll remove the paint on the right and look.  

BTW your engine number is right. My typo mistake

Thanks

Edited by xrv

If we're talking about as you sit on the bike, every Honda I've ever had, including the 12 I have now, have a plaque on the right and a stamped VIN on the left  Of course this is only the 2nd dirt bike I've ever owned so maybe it's that.  I'll continue to look

Thanks

References to the right side of the bike is just that,  in car terms it is the curb side, so think in terms of the bike rather than your viewing perspective.  My recolection of all the bikes I've owned since the mid sixties, which is before the current VIN standard, is the chassis number is stamped into the right side of the steering head.  There may be other labels, tags, or decals but the official and legal ID is stamped into the metal of the steering head. 

Often control cables wear down the number outlines and a repainting process can fill in the depressions, but the numbers are there.