Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota Where to stay at Nemadji state trails

A couple friends and I are planning on going to ride at the Nemadji state trails going up on Saturday of labor weekend and camp for one or two nights. I'm not sure if you can just stay at the parking lot or if we should find a camp ground in the area.

Thanks for any help none of us have been there.

There is a nice campground at the State Forest near Net Lake, a boat launch, and the trails, or there is a campground at the Duquette city park near the Tavern, Food, Gas and groceries.  The City park has fox's and a train that make noise at night.

The state forest campground enforces a small fee for camping.  The City park asks for a donation that I believe you make at the general store.  I'm not sure if Nemadji allows camping in the woods or parking lots.  You would have to check the DNR website.

Edited by toadl

Thank you very much, do you know if it get realy busy on laborday week.  The camping is first come first serve.

Edited by 30-30

I've camped in various spots through out nemadji. Never had a problem with the dnr. If you want to ride the single tack I'd say park at the intersection of Harlis rd and the yellow birch trail. Sometimes on the weekend that spot can load up with vehicles though especially on a holiday. There is another clearing right when Harlis rd turns south that I've always thought looked like a good spot.

If you camp in town its a long haul just to get to the trails.

I usually stay at the Four Seasons, just off the Iron Pipe loop.  Make sure to tip the valet and try the omelet buffet in the morning.

Otherwise what they said.

• Like 1

All MN state forests allow "dispersed camping" which means if you find a spot and you wanna setup there .... do it .... just leave as little trace as possible. no fees but no amenities either ;) 

We do it while riding and while hunting and it's well known to the DNR so you'll be fine (unless you burn down the forest or something) ;)

Thought i'd add to this thread. I was just up the dancer during deer hunting opener and it was pretty crazy. Cars and Trucks everyplace including many 20-30 foot travel trailers / motorhomes backed into the woods and lots of tents everyplace. people were driving places they should not, etc. i'd go as far as to say, i'd do whatever i want.

Thought i'd add to this thread. I was just up the dancer during deer hunting opener and it was pretty crazy. Cars and Trucks everyplace including many 20-30 foot travel trailers / motorhomes backed into the woods and lots of tents everyplace. people were driving places they should not, etc. i'd go as far as to say, i'd do whatever i want.

Sounds like the last place a guy would want to hunt---how do you make sure you're not shooting each other??

• Like 1

Sounds like the last place a guy would want to hunt---how do you make sure you're not shooting each other??

Another 2 hours and a person could hunt in Superior National Forest and not see anyone all weekend.

• Like 1

Beats me, I don't hunt there, I hunt our land nice and far from any state land. 

Probably, i'm guessing, just 20-30 cars is not many people when you spread out over the large distance of acres. I'm not really sure how it works.

There are some decent spots. I've contemplated hunting in that area if or when we lose our land. ( get legal wills people, and don't wait till it's too late to turn over property to your kids) tip of the day  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You yell "fore!" I'm not really sure why people choose to flock to certain state land come deer season when it's a zoo like that... I get twitchy sharing a slough with someone during duck season haha, I'd go nuts deer hunting.