Sign in to follow this  

Clarification please (especially those living in California)

In looking through the forums I've seen - Guy A - "Oh ya you can street-legalize a KLX450R in California!" Then -Guy B- "Like hell you can! My buddy spent $2000 and DMV still refused!" 

I was reading through the KLX factory service manual and page 5(7) says -

"To protect the environment in which we all live, Kawasaki has incorporated crankcase emission (1) and exhaust emission (2) control systems in compliance with applicable regulations of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board. Additionally, Kawasaki has incorporated an evaporative emission control system (3) in compliance with applicable regulations of the United States Environmental Protection Agency."

So the way I read this, with what I've seen on the forums, is if you put on the Baja Designs street legal kit, you can ride the KLX on the street in California. If I'm wrong can someone tell me what the emissions sticker on the KLX450 says?

Any help is appreciated.

That just allows you a green sticker. You can ride year round off road. Most bikes like the KX or CRF are red sticker and restricted to certain riding seasons. When I bought my bike new the Kawi dealer said even with lights there was no legal way to plate the bike in CA.

Jim,

thanks for the reply. Is yours a KX or KLX? Because in some forums there seems to be some sort of difference. I don't know what it is. KX = mx, KLX=enduro is what I read as the difference. 

KLX it comes stock with a smog kit, but it only gets you to CA Green Sticker status, not to CA legal plating status. Mine is of course removed for performance and better temp regulation. Theoretically I could get busted by the Rangers if they check and my smog kit is removed, but I have never had them really look over my engine. There is a bunch of info in this forum regarding why we remove smog kits.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still slightly confused by that. I recall someone mentioning in another thread about this that there was some sort of dual registration or changing a green sticker for a street title if something else was done in CA. Ya, I understand why you take the smog gear off. I bet 98% do. Since, as of now, there's no smog check on motos that I've heard of in CA you can get away with it. Wait a few years. Thanks again

If the bike was never sold to be plated and registered for HIGHWAY use it can no longer be converted

Can I convert my dirt bike to a dual sport so I can drive it both on and off-highway?
No. A vehicle designed for off-highway use can no longer be legally converted for highway use in California due to air emissions and federal safety regulations.  (31)  For additional information, please see the DMV Vehicle Industry News, VIN 2003-11 PDF.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294

This is a bit of an older thread, but for the sake of those to stumble upon it via Google ... yes, any green sticker, CARB compliant bike, that does not have a 3 or a C in the 8th charecter of the VIN number, can easily be easily plated in California. 

Any VIN with a C or a 3 in the 8th place is off highway only and that bike cannot be registered in California unless it has >7500 miles, and it is currently registered as a motorcycle (not off road only) in another state. Once the bike has more than 7500 miles, it is no longer considered "new" by the state of California, and it does not need to be in compliance with CARB emission standards.

On the other hand, green sticker / CARB compliant bikes without a C or 3 in the 8th place of the VIN can be plated in California regardless of the miles, so long as they are in compliance with DOT and California regulations. A CHP inspection is required, then hit the DMV or a title company, pay ~$100, walk out with a plate. 

Edited by nameless1

There was also a title loop hole where they issused titles with the correct VIN number and CCM, but the Model was listed as "KL650-A" , body style "Road/Trail".  I bet a few got licenced on that loophole.

The 8th char in these titles is not a C or 3.

Edited by wielywilly-g

I recently got shut down registering an untitled 2001 KTM 300MXC (two stroke, was bought from KTM and only used on private tracks). Since it does not have a C or 3 eighth character the Fullerton DMV told me red sticker only. I told the guy he was wrong and took my paperwork and walked out. I emailed a gal at CARB and she jumped right on it and sent me the docs that over-ride the 8th character requirement for all bikes 2002 and older. She then got me in contact with the supervisor at the DMV and told me to just go to #4 and ask for the supervisor. Yesterday she actually called me to make sure everything went smoothly. I was blown away that this government employee actually cared enough to work my case and call me!

Reading what you all have posted, maybe I'll push it and go for getting it plated,,,,WTF!

Just went in to DMV and paid $129.00 for registration and walked out the door with a plate.

8th digit on my vin is a "0"

Bike is a 1995

So it can be done.

• Like 2

Just went in to DMV and paid $129.00 for registration and walked out the door with a plate.

8th digit on my vin is a "0"

Bike is a 1995

So it can be done.

how was the CHP inspection? What signal and lighting kit did you use?

Edited by jimmyh

Was I supposed to get something from the CHP?

Was not aware of that?

I ordered a Baja Designs today but will not receive it till next week.

Edited by adnohguy

The KLX450 and KDX comes back to the KLR line in NY. I HAVE BOTH PLATED

Edited by GreenHornet450

I think I could easily plate it here, but I have no where close by with good biking.  I already have dual sport bikes for general riding.

I am a member of 3 dirt biking places 55mi, 70mi, and 110mi away.

I trailer up and truck to em.

Even though one of my KLX450s has brake lights wired already, I probably won't plate it.

I've discovered one last important piece of information. Even if a bike has a green sticker, that sticker must specifically state that it meets "on highway" emission standards. If it says "off highway" you'll not get the bike through. 

Here is the information direct from the DMV website. This used to be covered in Chapter 13, but that's no longer the case and any reference to chapter 13.050 is dated information.

"Emission Standards Overview

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) established emission regulations for on-highway motorcycles beginning with 1978 year models, which require an on-highway motorcycle to have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use."

Edited by nameless1

I've discovered one last important piece of information. Even if a bike has a green sticker, that sticker must specifically state that it meets "on highway" emission standards. If it says "off highway" you'll not get the bike through.

Here is the information direct from the DMV website. This used to be covered in Chapter 13, but that's no longer the case and any reference to chapter 13.050 is dated information.

"Emission Standards Overview

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) established emission regulations for on-highway motorcycles beginning with 1978 year models, which require an on-highway motorcycle to have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use."

Lol