Sign in to follow this  

Transmission oil question?

I have a 2010 crf250r, i just bought it not too long ago, and i was wondering when changing the oils.. what type of oil goes in the tranny? Does it have to be transmission specific or can it just be the regular motorcycle oil 10w- 30/40?

I'm a fan of the Maxima stuff

in my 05, I use Maxima 80wt in the tranny and usually change every 2nd oil change.

I run an hour meter and change my engine oil & filter max 10hrs or sooner when the oil starts looking dark. Using Maxima SynBlend4 10W40.

IMO - clean air filter and regular oil/filter changes with good products is key to a long engine life

• Like 1

You can just use regular 10w30/40 in the trans as long as it has the JASO  MA spec on the bottle, and i agree with filterx, changing oil often and keeping the air filter clean is key to longevity out of these engines, i even change the trans oil more often than the engine oil, because with the aluminum clutch plates, if you slip them at all, the oil gets silvery in a hurry. Rottela 15w40 has the MA spec, it works and is cheap enough i don't mind changing it every second ride.