Sign in to follow this  

6' 2" 205 lbs

I guess im considered a "tall" rider. Ive been riding for 10 years on a blue collar budget so ive never been able to get anything new. I am soon to return from a deployment so i think its about time i splurged. I am originally from Florida so i am a native to sand tracks and being over 180 lbs since i was 13, i have developed the nick name "t-rev". As one can imagine a heavy rider in sand, and older bikes, i have blown up my fair share of motors. I had an 06 rmz450 from 08 to 10 and locked it up twice. So the ultimate question what bike should i buy? Im torn between a kx450f and an rmz450. The kx seems to suit my "revving" style but the suzuki's handling seems to be fitting. Any big riders with newer bikes have any suggestions/advice?

Praise be to the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle ~ psalm 144:1

Not sure, but thank you for your service.

I think pretty much all of the mx bikes are so close to each other it really comes down to the best dealer and price you can get. I think for average riders they are close enough that one doesn't have a big advantage over another.

Edited by JFortner5
  • Like 1

Not sure, but thank you for your service.

I think pretty much all of the mx bikes are so close to each other it really comes down to the best dealer and price you can get. I think for average riders they are close enough that one doesn't have a big advantage over another.

Ya i guess youre right. I might have to hit the track a lot more to really notice small details( slow B rider before deployment) Im still going to buy used but a bike that is only a year or 2 old. Ive found a couple good deals and a 13 rmz450 with full suspension, pipe, and other upgrades that i have read were necessary to make the bike ideal. But thank you for the input!

Praise be to the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle ~ psalm 144:1

I guess im considered a "tall" rider. Ive been riding for 10 years on a blue collar budget so ive never been able to get anything new. I am soon to return from a deployment so i think its about time i splurged. I am originally from Florida so i am a native to sand tracks and being over 180 lbs since i was 13, i have developed the nick name "t-rev". As one can imagine a heavy rider in sand, and older bikes, i have blown up my fair share of motors. I had an 06 rmz450 from 08 to 10 and locked it up twice. So the ultimate question what bike should i buy? Im torn between a kx450f and an rmz450. The kx seems to suit my "revving" style but the suzuki's handling seems to be fitting. Any big riders with newer bikes have any suggestions/advice?

Are you only interested in 4 stroke? Since you have blown up bikes I figure a good 2 stroke is a good way to go.. plus they are fun. You could go the route of getting a big bore top end for say a yz or get a ktm 300xc.. or something .. or a good 250... You are only a track guy? or offroad?  You don't need to get something new.. just something in good shape... Why waste money.. There are always low hour bikes for sale too.. just have to be patient. At your height you can ride anything you want. You aren't freakishly tall at all like some guys.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

I'd say YZ450F. I believe it's one of the taller bikes, they're really reliable, plenty of power, and they're pretty much just great all around bikes.

• Like 2

He blew up a 450 twice! If hes not the candidate for a 500 i dont know who is! Do it!

• Like 3

I appreciate the input guys! I rode a 250 2 stroke for years in florida and i just couldnt blast the sand unless i was winding it to the breaking point. The 450 was the best so far for the sand. But i live in TN now so the terrain is a little harder so a 2 stroke is still a good possibility. I was actually thinking low hour 450 and 250 2T to race lights class

Ever consider a 250 2t more then just a slight thought? You might find the handling to be much better due to the weight and they're lower maintenance as well so if you look after them you don't have to worry about blowing them up plus in some places they let you run with 250f's. 

Edited by leafsrule16