Sign in to follow this  

Dead drz

Buddy of mine was riding his stock drz400s to work the other day n called me up after it "shuttered to a stop". He was able to pop start it and got it to a safe place. I picked it up and brought it to the garage, tried to fire it up with no luck, i made sure there was gas in the tank, and even tried starting fluid? Tried to pop start it and the engine sounded like someone was beating it with a hammer. I drained the oil and checked the filter and frame screen. No metal shavings. Only odd thing was that only about a half a quart of oil came out. (Yes i drained both plugs)

I am fearing the worst; i think that maybe his lower crank bearing failed due to lack of oil?

The bike only has 3500 miles on it and the last oil change was six or so months ago.

I pulled the valve cover and everything there looks fine. Cam lobes look normal, clearance is in spec.

The bike has spark and i believe is getting fuel through the carb. (Wouldnt fire with starting fluid)

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything else that i should check before i pull the jug. I'm planning on pulling the jug and check the cylinder walls for scoring and play in the piston.

Any ideas on what happened? Was it the low oil that killed this bike? This thing is bone stock aside from tires.

Any input would be much appreciated

And when i say i tried to pop start it and it sounded like someone was beating the engine with a hammer, it did not fire up. Just sounded like crap. I will update this post as i tear things apart more.

What "both plugs".  Motor sump and frame drain?

Proceed with disassembly. Start with checking cam timing. Then left engine cover and look at the stator, then right cover and look at the primary nut and counter balance time.  Then head and cylinder.