Sign in to follow this  

Not running right after Daves Mods

2004 XR650L 600-800 ft above sea level. Needle shimmed to .023", drilled slide 5/32", 55 long pilot, 158 main, uni air filter, de-snorkeled de-smogged. Bike runs great 1/2 to full throttle. Idle to slightly under 1/2 throttle will bog if rolled on easy and will lurch and surge at steady throttle input, especially higher RPMs and will cut out some ( unless it's over 1/2 - WOT)

The needle shim I used was fairly wide in diameter. Is there a chance it is not seated fully into the recess on the slide making the low end too rich? What is the recommended shim thickness, mine is .023"?

I can not seem to get the carb dialed in. I've tried the fuel screw from 1-3 turns and have even removed the air box lid which helped very very slightly. Plug is dark Chocolate in color on insulator & electrode.

Any ideas I how to fix my issues?

Update. I messed around with the bike more tonight. The closest to perfect I could get it was at 1 turn out from seated and no airbox side cover. Does this mean my 55 pilot is too rich? Suggestions???

Unlike most other mass-produced japanese machinery, the occasional L does seem to like leaner jetting than the baseline mods.

So, could be.

Thank you Dave. I tweaked it a little more today. 3/4 turn from seated and no airbox lid made it run perfectly. I'm going to pull the plug and make sure it confirms it as well. If the plug looks ok, what pilot do you recommend I go to? Stock pilot I took out was a 50s, and I put in the 55s. Also when I change the pilot jet to Leaner will this affect the 158 main I put in?

Edited by wvumountainman

Pilot jet won't really affect the main.

The needle overlaps between the two.

52 pilot seems popular with the folks who need it a bit leaner.

I am currently at 3/4 turn out with 55 pilot and it is perfect with a few more holes in the airbox top. I realize I should drop to a leaner pilot since the fuel screw has limited ability to lean out further. All of my riding will happen right here around home and the same elevation.

Will it hurt anything leaving it this way?