Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke still spitting spooge / oil out of exhaust

Hi guys, I have a 2001 ktm 200exc been doing this since I've owned it. It doesn't sound crisp and clean like a 2 stroke should , the throttle response isn't as good as it should be it takes more time than it should to get to higher revs. Even when the bike is warmed up it spits oil out of connection between head pipe and silencer. Around here jets are really expensive and I'm already at a 40 pilot. Obviously I'm running too rich but should I be messing with pilot or main ? I do believe my main jet is a 172. And the clip position on my needle is the second from the top so I can try that to lean it out. Engine and components are all ok I am sure this is a carb issue I have good spark good coil, brand new crank seals, ECT. I would appreciate a "point in the right direction" as far as how to start this troubleshooting. Thanks :rideon:

And I am running klotz r50 at 32:1 and I have read through the ktm 200 jetting forum but couldn't find someone with same needle, area, set up etc.

Your needle is too rich.  Try dropping it a clip or 2, but you will probably need to go to a leaner needle.  The stock needles are typically too rich for the 1st quarter of the throttle,meaning it doesn't clean out quick, burbles a lot, and puts out lots of spooge.

If only recreationally riding trail the R50 oil may have too high of flashpoint. Try amsoil interceptor or maxima super m injector formula. They each have low flashpoint contributing towards more complete combustion and less spooge.

• Like 1

Your needle is too rich. Try dropping it a clip or 2, but you will probably need to go to a leaner needle. The stock needles are typically too rich for the 1st quarter of the throttle,meaning it doesn't clean out quick, burbles a lot, and puts out lots of spooge.

Ok thanks for info. I will try moving the clip to the highest notch. As far as "buying a leaner needle" I know the needles go by letters which way to go leaner ( not sure what mine is )

If only recreationally riding trail the R50 oil may have too high of flashpoint. Try amsoil interceptor or maxima super m injector formula. They each have low flashpoint contributing towards more complete combustion and less spooge.

It is trail riding but I'm constantly pinning the throttle open (maybe because it's loading up so much) but will the super m sacrifice anything as far as lubing goes is it still a quality oil? I have read about the maxima super m might give that a try. Also going to try mixing the klotz at 40:1 before making the switch

Your needle is too rich. Try dropping it a clip or 2, but you will probably need to go to a leaner needle. The stock needles are typically too rich for the 1st quarter of the throttle,meaning it doesn't clean out quick, burbles a lot, and puts out lots of spooge.

When I lean out the needle what improvements should I notice? Should it smoke less at idle, high rev, low rev, or at all points?

It is trail riding but I'm constantly pinning the throttle open (maybe because it's loading up so much) but will the super m sacrifice anything as far as lubing goes is it still a quality oil? I have read about the maxima super m might give that a try. Also going to try mixing the klotz at 40:1 before making the switch

When I lean out the needle what improvements should I notice? Should it smoke less at idle, high rev, low rev, or at all points?

If you add more gas to your mix (40:1 vice 32:1) it will cool down your combustion and likely add more spooge. Maxima oils are high quality. So is Amsoil. Leaning any jetting circuit will result in less smoke.

• Like 1

Gasket sealer at the spots where the pipe comes together and where it connects to the head easy fix. Gotta work on carb settings also but the gasket sealer will make sure there's no leaks.

Prob going to post a new topic for this question but I checked my float level and it is actually much lower then stock specs which should make it starve for fuel running leaner... But it runs rich. My jetting is already much leaner than stock, will raising the float to the correct specs make it run even richer or could that be my issue all along?

Do a leak down test. However, if it has been doing it since new in 2001 I would bet it is a rider issue, meaning you do not run it hard enough. That can be resolved by runnning a high oil/fuel ratio, like 50 or 60/1 then leaning the jetting to account for the extra fuel.

What elevation are you riding at? I have a 2000 and have been working on the jetting lately. Went from a line of spooge down the exhaust and dripping on the rear swingarm to about a 1/2" line after 3hrs after my first jetting change.

Riding from 2k-6K

Main 185

PJ 42

Honda cr needle on 4th clip

Maxima @ 40:1

Your jetting seems really lean comparatively, have you done any plug chops to see what the plug says?

What elevation are you riding at? I have a 2000 and have been working on the jetting lately. Went from a line of spooge down the exhaust and dripping on the rear swingarm to about a 1/2" line after 3hrs after my first jetting change.

Riding from 2k-6K

Main 185

PJ 42

Honda cr needle on 4th clip

Maxima @ 40:1

Your jetting seems really lean comparatively, have you done any plug chops to see what the plug says?

The elevation around here is about 800ft. I actually went even leaner with my jetting and the spooge went away a lot crisper throttle response and much more power. Now running 38 pilot 170 main haven't done a plug chop test but will in a couple days. Pretty warm around here right now

Are you running maxima 927?  Even jetted very good when trail riding I still get a little residue, and if I am idling for a long period it is almost unavoidable on a two stroke.. unless you run a lean needle and a lean pilot basically setup only for tight stuff you might always have some spooge.. the bad part about this is when the trail opens up you could possibly be to lean.. Id lower the pilot first and play with the airscrew. sounds like your not getting into the main that much anyway so look for a leaner needle.. whats the number on yours?

Are you running maxima 927? Even jetted very good when trail riding I still get a little residue, and if I am idling for a long period it is almost unavoidable on a two stroke.. unless you run a lean needle and a lean pilot basically setup only for tight stuff you might always have some spooge.. the bad part about this is when the trail opens up you could possibly be to lean.. Id lower the pilot first and play with the airscrew. sounds like your not getting into the main that much anyway so look for a leaner needle.. whats the number on yours?

Klotz r50 at 32:1

65 slide

NOZG needle

170 main

38 pilot

AS 1 turn out