Sign in to follow this  

2 Stroke Riding Tips?

So I am currently a 4-Stroke rider, this weekend i am buying a cr125 and need some tips. I have only rode a two stroke one time, it was a kx85 and i didn't go anywhere past 2nd gear(mainly because i was on the street). Any 2-Stroke tips from riders are appreciated! Thanks!

I can't link from my Kindle. Just go to YouTube and type it Jimmy Decotis Sleepy Hollow 2-stroke Shootout.

Always wear your safety belt and hang the &%$#@! on, thats about it.

This is the proper way to ride, minus the part at the end:

Edited by Atieri

I went riding with some 4stroke 450's this past weekend, I havent been on a 2stroke since 05, A better rider can prob. bounce from 2 to 4 stroke or vise versa better, but going back to a 2stroke for me wasnt terribly difficult but i am still dealing with it a bit.... riding with those 4strokes(not pro riders but decent enough) If you dont keep decent corner speed, no bueno, I would cruise behind them, and a short twist of the throttle they would clear the jump, where i would have a hard time clearing if i just followed them around, i needed a lot more corner speed than they did. those 4strokes really seem to put the power to the ground better.  other than that i dont think its that different

I went riding with some 4stroke 450's this past weekend, I havent been on a 2stroke since 05, A better rider can prob. bounce from 2 to 4 stroke or vise versa better, but going back to a 2stroke for me wasnt terribly difficult but i am still dealing with it a bit.... riding with those 4strokes(not pro riders but decent enough) If you dont keep decent corner speed, no bueno, I would cruise behind them, and a short twist of the throttle they would clear the jump, where i would have a hard time clearing if i just followed them around, i needed a lot more corner speed than they did. those 4strokes really seem to put the power to the ground better. other than that i dont think its that different

i haven't rode a two stroke more than a couple hundred feet xD it'll be interesting since i learned off a 4 stroke, and the power band will feel different to me xD

It'll be tough dealing with the huge boner you'll have once you get that 125 on the pipe!

Seriously though.. the toughest part is dealing with all the extra chicks beating your door down.

Ps blaze into the corners, feather the clutch on the way out, stay in the power band

It'll be tough dealing with the huge boner you'll have once you get that 125 on the pipe!

Seriously though.. the toughest part is dealing with all the extra chicks beating your door down.

Ps blaze into the corners, feather the clutch on the way out, stay in the power band

the powerband is what worries me really, im only 5'5 ish, i currently ride 250 four stroke and im on my tip-toes. with my first experience on a two stroke the front end just wants to come up all the time. Any tips on riding the power band?

Set your sag correctly too get up close to tank don't sit so far back

Edited by MotoGuido
  • Like 1

the powerband is what worries me really, im only 5'5 ish, i currently ride 250 four stroke and im on my tip-toes. with my first experience on a two stroke the front end just wants to come up all the time. Any tips on riding the power band?

Adding to what MotoGuido said, when he says sit forward on the seat, act like you are trying to read your front number plate.  Keep your elbows out.  Trust your front end, just point and shoot. 

Adding to what MotoGuido said, when he says sit forward on the seat, act like you are trying to read your front number plate. Keep your elbows out. Trust your front end, just point and shoot.

Thanks! This helps me because i would have tried to ride it as if it were my four stroke, near the low curve

of the seat.

Do you have to ease off the throttle when the power band kicks in, keep a constant speed increase?

Thanks! This helps me because i would have tried to ride it as if it were my four stroke, near the low curve

of the seat.

Do you have to ease off the throttle when the power band kicks in, keep a constant speed increase?

No.  Keep it pinned.  That's when the grinning starts.

The front end on the 85 you were riding kept wanting to come up because of the short wheel base, the fact that you probably weigh way too much for the spring rate on it, and the power delivery of an 85.  Your 125 will hit but it is very controllable and the longer wheel base will keep your front end on the ground most of the time.

No. Keep it pinned. That's when the grinning starts.

The front end on the 85 you were riding kept wanting to come up because of the short wheel base, the fact that you probably weigh way too much for the spring rate on it, and the power delivery of an 85. Your 125 will hit but it is very controllable and the longer wheel base will keep your front end on the ground most of the time.

interesting, i heard a trick is to keep it in a low gear with high rev. True? Also if it is true how would you keep the revs high enough to where the bike wont die during a u-uturn on a marrow road, example.