Sign in to follow this  

Getting a new cylinder head need opinions

The pic looks like the exhaust seats are all chipped up. I don't know that I would trust it. and you don't know if the guides are shot. if the guides are shot you are looking at an adictional $125 or so for new guides, $80 for a valve job, and valves. Bigborethumpers.com offers complete 250 r heads for $575. Thats for a brand new OEM honda head with our stainless steel valve kit installed. Jost an option to think about. 

The pic looks like the exhaust seats are all chipped up. I don't know that I would trust it. and you don't know if the guides are shot. if the guides are shot you are looking at an adictional $125 or so for new guides, $80 for a valve job, and valves. Bigborethumpers.com offers complete 250 r heads for $575. Thats for a brand new OEM honda head with our stainless steel valve kit installed. Jost an option to think about.

ya it's a great option but I don't want to drop 575 on a cylinder head.

If you are trying to justify the 575 price you don't have to, I get where the price is coming from but I only ride trail and I don't need allot if extra power to win races or anything. I would love to have that but for me to buy it it would be a waste.

Maybe you are miss understanding what I am getting at. Not trying to justify the $575 head. Just giving you other options you can do threw Bigborethumpers.com. We are one of the cheapest and reputable companies on the market. And the head is has nothing for the racer, this is a Joe Schmo Head. Stock everything. And the valve job that I mentioned is the same way. To take your head and freshen it up with new valves that are not sunk in the head to the point that you cant shim it. And the guides are a must if they are warn out, because that is what we center off of to cut the seats for the new valves. The exhaust is a rocker arm on these motors, and are very hard on exhaust guides do to the forward and backward motion of the rocker arm.  

What he is trying to say is in the end your going to have around 500 dollars in repairing a junk used head you get off eBay. Just buying one that has worn seats and guides and throwing it on is only going leave you stranded in no time and you will be in the same boat of needing to spend the money to fix that head or get a new one. Fix it right or fix it twice.

• Like 2