Lets dream about cams

how come I havent heard of anyone on this forum putting hi po cams in this bike

will the EFI work efficiently ?

or is there other reasons

anyone???

The cams that Takegawa put out don't produce any more horsepower untill you reach over 8500 rpm so not really of value unless you mostly ride on the road and like winding the bike out to 10,000 rpm between gear changes.
  • Like 1

Even if one doesn't ride mostly on the road, why can't you have more fun the times you actually do? Not saying price/performance ratio is or isn't there with cams, just commenting on the logic.. with big bore the curves start earlier anyway.

Edited by Hege
  • Like 1

Even if one doesn't ride mostly on the road, why can't you have more fun the times you actually do? Not saying price/performance ratio is or isn't there with cams, just commenting on the logic.. with big bore the curves start earlier anyway.

I don't think it's a good idea putting them in the big bore mostly because there is too much vibration above 8500rpm. It's a recipe for a shortened engine life. Seems like I'm the only person not having issues with the big bore, feel free to do as you like but I would be a little nervous holding the motor at those rpms. I would spend my money on balancing the big bore motor before trying to run it constantly above 8500 rpm.

A high compression piston in the stock 250cc bore with ported head and hot cams would work well though, similar to the wr250r motor.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

Not sure who's suggesting constantly running at limiter.. it's still nice to have some more power at reserve?

Sometimes I wish my big bore would give up already, then I would just go all balls out refresh with AFR+, cams and porting added. Atleast I would have a unique little black pig..  ? I don't know if I'm seriously enough into this hobby to warrant KTM or such. Atleast tinkering with Honda is easier and cheaper in the end..

Edited by Hege
  • Like 1

Not sure who's suggesting constantly running at limiter.. it's still nice to have some more power at reserve?

Sometimes I wish my big bore would give up already, then I would just go all balls out refresh with AFR+, cams and porting added. Atleast I would have a unique little black pig..  ? I don't know if I'm seriously enough into this hobby to warrant KTM or such. Atleast tinkering with Honda is easier and cheaper in the end..

If you are not going to use it then not much point having it, but I understand what you are saying and if you already have every other worthwhile mod then definitely worth it, there are just so many other things I would do before that.

This bike is actually quite capable. Rode with mates all on ktm, husaberg, and husqvarna, and I was either sitting on their arse the whole time or overtaking them. Just need to upgrade the suspension next and we'll see what it can do.

• Like 2

the takegawa would be out of the question if all it does is all top end, I too dont like running balls out all the time

can you just imagine having the engine tach'd out while riding the trails,,,,,Scarry!

the Daniel Crower Cams say its an increase throughout the power band

485 bucks is a big chunck of change

but what a way to top off the stage one

• Like 1

I would pay $1,000.00 for some decent head work with cams that produced 3 to 6 more HP and could be done in a way that would still be reliable. I have not been out to talk to Tracin in awhile but I would like to hear his thoughts and if he can make something like that possible for me. I should probably pay him a visit ....  :thinking:

• Like 1

the takegawa would be out of the question if all it does is all top end, I too dont like running balls out all the time

can you just imagine having the engine tach'd out while riding the trails,,,,,Scarry!

the Daniel Crower Cams say its an increase throughout the power band

485 bucks is a big chunck of change

but what a way to top off the stage one

if I'm reading this right 005"/.007" clearance ( before it hits the piston ) that's a little to close for me. I piece of copy paper is .005" thick, I wouldn't trust my stock valve train system to it