Sign in to follow this  

how to shift correctly?

I have a klr 250 with low miles. I don't know if it is me or the bike but it is not all that easy to shift. Either it requires decent force to upshift or it doesn't require excess force but kinda feels like it catches on something before going into gear. Downshifting everything is fine except it does noticeably get louder going into 1st gear and kinda "chunks". Also, when the bike isn't warm it has an issue going into 2nd. it really doesn't want to move and i have to rev it to drop it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

I have a klr 250 with low miles. I don't know if it is me or the bike but it is not all that easy to shift. Either it requires decent force to upshift or it doesn't require excess force but kinda feels like it catches on something before going into gear. Downshifting everything is fine except it does noticeably get louder going into 1st gear and kinda "chunks". Also, when the bike isn't warm it has an issue going into 2nd. it really doesn't want to move and i have to rev it to drop it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

I had a KLR 250 many years ago, but don't remember this specifically. However, if the 250 has the positive neutral finder, and it probably does, it's common to be clunky first to second and second to first. My KLR650 is. Playing with oils helps. I use Rotella 5-40, or a 50/50 mix of Rotella 5-40 and 15-40.

Mike