Sign in to follow this  

New 500exc Break In and Oil Change

Just got a new 15 500exc two days ago and did a few heat cycles and put a hour of on and off road riding. I didn't beat it off road but road it at about 50 to 80 percent. Here is my main question. When should i change the oil ? And should i go to full syn motorex oil ? Still has the oil it came with from the factory now. Thanks in advance guys.

Chris

Simple......follow the manufacturer's recommendations.....end of story.

• Like 1

After one hour and check valve clearance. Yup. One hour. After that oil recommendation will vary per person. Some like Dino oil, some synth blend, some full synthetic. I like to graduate up to full synthetic.

And yes, check your manual.

Edited by DR.billZ

I must of be a dummy because i went thru the manual twice and didn't see it until now. Hi everyone my name is Chris the dumb shit that didn't read his manual thoroughly.. It also said don't give it full throttle for the first few hrs, lol.. That went out the window also.

Yea i didn't take it out and twist the piss out of it so i'm all clear. I can't believe i missed the info TWICE in the manual.. Feeling and looking stupid out of the gate :banghead:  No where to go but up from here,lol

I don't agree with the "read the manual" or "did you do a search" sentiment that is seeming to grow on discussion boards and thus why traffic is down on all discussion boards any more. It used to be you couldn't keep up with the topics on the big dirt bike boards. Now it's.....crickets. I see a lot of that is how people are treated. Yes, they should read the manual and maybe do a search for common questions. But, we're all here to help one another.

The correct answer is the answer, followed by something about it being in the manual. If you see someone asking simple questions all the time that can be EASILY found, THEN give them grief about it.

This site is here for us to help one another. If the owners think otherwise, then simply close the site. It's that simple.

• Like 4

In this case and point, the poster is asking the question about breaking in a bike. Something that is clearly in the owners manual. There are different ways each manufacturer wants this to be done. Assuming the poster is male and we all know that men never read the instructions first, it is only logical that the poster be asked if they indeed read the manual on this topic.

So wrong. The idea is to help. If not, then leave the site. Any answer can be found without asking. If we all did this, there would be no discussion at all...

Edited by DR.billZ
  • Like 1

Hey guys i didn't want a shit storm started over my question :facepalm:  It was partially my fault for not sitting down and reading the manual. But then again it says to change all engine bearings , connecting rod and piston, change valve springs and seats at 70 hard hours and 135 normal hours ( Per Manual ). Now i know i have been reading that guys are getting 150hrs out of a piston. I was just looking for some feedback from other riders that have owned these bikes and had them apart, so i could get some quality hands on advice.

Sorry to cause so much controversy over me being not on point with the manual... Life is short lets all have fun and enjoy :goofy:  Besides we all had to have help in life because it didn't come with a manual. Good thing or i would of not read that properly too.

Edited by Grantham75

So wrong. The idea is to help. If not, then leave the site. Any answer can be found without asking. If we all did this, there would be no discussion at all...

Why would a forum have better/more helpful answers than the manufacturer who built the bike?

Makes no sense to me to possibly deviate from what the manufacturer has designed and built into the mcycle and supplied an excellent owners manual to boot.

Not looking to argue....just stating my thinking/reasoning.

That's all from here.

Enjoy your mcycle....it's the BEST one I've owned and I have a long history!

I don't agree with the "read the manual" or "did you do a search" sentiment that is seeming to grow on discussion boards and thus why traffic is down on all discussion boards any more. It used to be you couldn't keep up with the topics on the big dirt bike boards. Now it's.....crickets. I see a lot of that is how people are treated. Yes, they should read the manual and maybe do a search for common questions. But, we're all here to help one another.

The correct answer is the answer, followed by something about it being in the manual. If you see someone asking simple questions all the time that can be EASILY found, THEN give them grief about it.

This site is here for us to help one another. If the owners think otherwise, then simply close the site. It's that simple.

I agree 100% everyone here is here to help each other but that doesn't mean they should have their hand held. It was a reasonable assumption that the OP had an owners manual and should have read it. If he had of he would of realised heat cycling a modern MC was not recommended and found the information he was seeking. No offense meant towards the OP at all or DRBillz. Just my 02

• Like 1

This just shows how &%$#@!ed people are now days. I made a simple mistake and it has turned into a debate. I put myself out there and only two people have been cool about it and one had a little humor. I thought it may be cool to have a conversation about break in style and different oils, but no lets be a politically correct and have a debate about the question at hand. WTF is wrong with people now days.

I admitted i was a dip shit for not reading my manual like it was a contract, but no one says " Hey no biggie we all make mistakes , or shit happens" nope lets all turn on each other like snakes in a pit, &%$#@! !!

Now dirteta passively makes it out like i need my hand held ? Hey dirteta why don't you hold my dick you &%$#@!in &%$#@!. Please take offense to my comment because thats my 02..

I'm just gonna go ahead and delete myself from here because 1 I must be to stupid to read the manual, and 2 i'm not a total dickhead to be in this club. DRBillz happy riding because you are alright and ruphianh keep up the humor brother.

So since you are deleting your account, does this mean you'll sell me your bike at half price? I mean it's only going to last you a couple rides since the manual wasn't followed. Might as well sell it while it runs.

• Like 1

This just shows how &%$#@!ed people are now days. I made a simple mistake and it has turned into a debate. I put myself out there and only two people have been cool about it and one had a little humor. I thought it may be cool to have a conversation about break in style and different oils, but no lets be a politically correct and have a debate about the question at hand. &%$#@! is wrong with people now days.

I admitted i was a dip shit for not reading my manual like it was a contract, but no one says " Hey no biggie we all make mistakes , or shit happens" nope lets all turn on each other like snakes in a pit, &%$#@! !!

Now dirteta passively makes it out like i need my hand held ? Hey dirteta why don't you hold my dick you &%$#@!in &%$#@!. Please take offense to my comment because thats my 02..

I'm just gonna go ahead and delete myself from here because 1 I must be to stupid to read the manual, and 2 i'm not a total dickhead to be in this club. DRBillz happy riding because you are alright and ruphianh keep up the humor brother.

LMFAO. Often offer your penis to males? I'm betting yes. Goodbye.

Yea man i can't read and now i'm gay. Man your a smart ausie. Is it true you guys bang down your sisters or just hear say ?

Yea man i can't read and now i'm gay. Man your a smart ausie. Is it true you guys bang down your sisters or just hear say ?

Yeh it's true. But hey, I still score even at family reunions. I thought you were deleting your account?